What do you do with your keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, so this is kind of a dumb question, but my husband and I were discussing it last night, and we don't really know...

When you go diving, what do you do with your car keys when you shore dive? Our local quarry tells us to make sure to lock all our valuables into the car. It is an open recreation area and non-divers can come in to fish, hike, even hunt. So while our open water class just left stuff out (there was a non-diver in the group who watched the stuff) if it was just the two of us, I don't think I'd want to do that. I mean we wouldn't take much stuff with us, but at the very least, we'd need a credit card in case we have to stop by a gas station...

My car has a non-electronic key, but the car large enough to carry tanks in it doesn't: the key has all the electronic buttons embedded on it. I don't think we could tuck that into a BCD pocket and take it underwater.

So- what do you do with your keys?

I own a brand new truck that the key and the remote is integrated.

I brought the key to a key cutting place and they cut me a copy, minus all the electronics. It locks and unlocks the doors and that is it. My key is in the truck somewhere. If you get in, the alarm will sound while you are searching for the key.

The cut key is in a BCD pocket.

If someone does not have a spare key, I just have them put it in my truck.

my dive vehicles have always been Ford Explorers with the keypad on the side. No need for keys.

One of my friends keeps her key in one of those heavy duty realtor lock boxes (that goes around the door knobs) and has it locked to her trailer hitch with the keys in it.

Anyone we dive with we make sure our buddy has the code in case we don't make it back and they need to call for help or get our info.

my dive vehicles have always been Ford Explorers with the keypad on the side. No need for keys.

One of my friends keeps her key in one of those heavy duty realtor lock boxes (that goes around the door knobs) and has it locked to her trailer hitch with the keys in it.

Anyone we dive with we make sure our buddy has the code in case we don't make it back and they need to call for help or get our info.

I do that too in my F150, but was reluctant to post it since getting a different vehicle didn't seem to help the OP too much.

On another note, corvettejoe drives a ford? that's a little funny :)

The realtor lock box will work on any car that has a trailer hitch. Just run the lock through the chain holes (or whatever those things are called) on your hitch and you're golden. Great idea.

Having lost (and found) my electronic car key twice while diving (and, of course, having to use it mechanically since then), I feel pretty fortunate that I currently drive a golf cart with one of those old fashioned non-electronic keys that I can stash in my swim trunks. Can you get a duplicate non-electronic key made for the car?

Get a basic non electronic key made. It will open the doors, but not start the engine. Keep your electronic key in your locked glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Some years ago I worked with the San Diego PD on the issue of break-ins. In one memorable incident thieves hit a car and used the information/keys inside to hit the victim's residence and place of business. So again let me just throw out there, consider minimizing the amount of stuff you take to the dive site in the first place. I also learned that thieves were successfully breaking into the trailer hitch boxes. In a group of vehicles the hitch safe practically screams, "Hey! Over here! Valuables!"

Separate but related, one passive countermeasure I took a long time ago was to get the darkest ("limo") tint for all of the rear windows on my 4Runner. Then I put up the sun shade in the front, regardless of the time of day/night. Makes it virtually impossible to see inside the vehicle, and of course I don't leave anything lying around in the front seats. I don't leave much of value inside the car to begin with but thieves are attracted to anything they can see inside. My dive buddy had her SUV broken into when she left her gym bag on the back seat. They got the bag -- which had nothing of value in it -- and she had to deal with the mess they left by smashing the window.

Mine stays in the ignition, the door locks don't work and there its one broken off in the trunk button. If somebody wants to steal my 1984 rusted out Mercedes diesel, more power to them. It no seats so it can hold three sets of doubles inside. I have never worried about it not being there when I come back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom