What do you enjoy seeing on your dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking about some of my favorite dives earlier, trying to decide what made them so enjoyable for me. Yeah, diving in the Caribbean is nice. Most everyone likes seeing colorful fish and coral up close.

But for me, what do I like to see? Easy. I like to see fish eating other fish. A little gruesome maybe, but interesting.

One of the dives I really enjoyed was a shore dive near Panama City, FL. I was about 50 feet offshore, when I spotted a long stream of tiny baitfish. These fish were extremely small, less than two inches long. They were traveling very slow, and I couldn't see the beginning nor the end of the stream. So I dove with them for a minutes, thinking "Wow, this is pretty serene. Nature is so peaceful." Then I started catching glimpses of much longer fish, bonefish. At first they stayed on the periphery, swimming parallel to the baitfish stream. Then they would make break-turns and zoom through the baitfish formation, swallowing whole as many of the tiny fish as they could. This reminded me immensley of World War II bomber formations being attacked by fighters (interesting how war mimics nature eh?).

But these little fish weren't to recieve a reprieve today. The bonefish, now joined by other species, coralled the baitfish even closer to shore into very shallow water. From this vantage, the predators began attacking from below, breaking through the surface of the water as they gulped the baitfish down, sending them straight to their stomachs to be dissolved by acid alive.

At this point, it was about 6:00 in the evening, and the feeding frenzy was causing a big commotion. People on the shore were watching and staring, swimmers were getting out of the water. I thought to myself "Even though this is intensely interesting, its getting dusk, there is blood and fish oil in the water, all kinds of low frequency vibrations, and this place is (bull) shark city, maybe I better get out of the water". And thats what I did. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. So I watched the spectacle from the shore.

Anyways, that was one of my best dives.

My big thing is getting up close and personal with sharks, but i geuss all divers are like that. Also getting really close to cuttlefish, watching their colours change is just awesome

I just enjoy watching the natural behavior of the animals. I like watching how they react to different stimuli & perceived threats from the margins. i just enjoy watching nature unfold around me.

Good divers, JB, Bait balls, wrecks, fish with personaliites, monk seals, freedivers ...and for some reason, boat bottoms of all types!

collage21-1.jpg

DavidPT40:
I like to see fish eating other fish. A little gruesome maybe, but interesting.
I took this picture a couple of weeks ago in Belize:
belize_barracuda.jpg

It's too blurry to be a decent picture--a barracuda moves faster than the 1/90 shutter speed--but I thought it was kind of cool to catch the barracuda a second after he sliced that fish in half and a second before a goliath grouper snatched part of it from his mouth.

"Wow, this is pretty serene. Nature is so peaceful."
:D

Nice pictures Catherine.

Munching... or mating... interactions between species make my video much more interesting.

Well since I'm far far away from the ocean, and on the shores of Lake Erie, my big thing is wrecks. But I have been fascinated by big sharks since I was a small boy and for years planned on going into marine biology, so I am really looking forward to seeing my first live sharks. Hopefully next month when I go to Cuba.

The surface after the dive. Seriously though I can spend all my time just poking around a wreck. I have spent an entire dive in a 5 foot square section just digging around and and checking out the wreck and all the marine life. It doesnt have to be some exotic fish, really just anything. And that is more the norm then the exception.

when it comes to actual marine life--juvie trunk fish are my favorites, followed by jaw fish, turtles (all shapes and sizes), and christmas tree worms. I'll always love to watch divers communicate underwater as well. I've been a part of seamless underwater chit-chat, and "conversations" where both parties left confused. I love watching it all unfold.

I love everything from the time I load the van with my gear until the time I load it back into van after the dive. My most favorite things at the moment though are, in no particular order;

1. Getting up close and filming sharks.
2. Turtles.
3. Listening to the whales singing throughout almost every dive from December till April or May.

Some buddies and I went diving on the West coast of Oahu yesterday at a dive site that the charter boats don't hit (the LCU) and the viz was great, my three buddies hadn't dove the site before, and the whales were singing loud throughout the dive and you could even hear them breaching (the slap coming back down) sometimes. If I turn my video up you can hear them singing on parts of it.

Back
Top Bottom