Question What do you expect from a dive travel leader?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes a good trip leader would help (to the best of their abilities) to solve all of those problems. They will often use the resort manager or cruise director to also help since often the goals are the same. Happy customers = return customers. I will always book with the groups that I book with because I know they will fight for what their customers want or need (within reason).

Now, if you decide not to book your air/or any other travel through the trip leaders business then they will prioritize their customers who did book through them. I see this often with travel in Indo since flights are constantly cancelled or late. It might be great to get that hot deal on a flight and not pay the booking fee but when things go wrong and your flight gets cancelled then its pretty much on you to deal with the consequences. I will happily pay the extra to know that they are watching the flights and constantly giving us the updates that we need to know. I have still seen trip leaders try to help these same people who refused to book their air etc. with them and often solve their problems with smiles on their faces.

Cryptic. What do you mean?
Nah, literal.

If you are asking for payment (by accepting comps)
(ie: a free trip or portion in exchange for your toils)
make sure you’re getting paid enough to do- what you’re taking a slice of

We had this discussion at a national level with Ski Clubs. One board member of USSA was a CPA and insisted that any comp freebies we offered for trip leader’s labors cause a W2 be generated. I said that even an IRS agent understands that ‘what you got “paid”’ falls short of the work required.

I have led all sorts of similar ‘club‘ type trips, not for the free trip, but for fun. It really wasn’t all that much fun…never any awful problems, I’d just rather pay for my vacation and have it.

Nah, literal.

If you are asking for payment (by accepting comps)
(ie: a free trip or portion in exchange for your toils)
make sure you’re getting paid enough to do- what you’re taking a slice of

We had this discussion at a national level with Ski Clubs. One board member of USSA was a CPA and insisted that any comp freebies we offered for trip leader’s labors cause a W2 be generated. I said that even an IRS agent understands that ‘what you got “paid”’ falls short of the work required.
This seems backwards to the thread. You are aguing that the trip leader is not paid enough for the work they do. The thread seems to be about the traip leader not doing enough to earn the comp.

This seems backwards to the thread. You are aguing that the trip leader is not paid enough for the work they do. The thread seems to be about the traip leader not doing enough to earn the comp.
Cryptical.

If the trip leader is getting comp and/ or profit, they should be working all day every day to make the trip a success, much like the paid staff of the dive operation. Yes they get to go diving, but this is just a part of ensuring the trip is enjoyable. I've seen a few trip leaders who don't get this, and think that the trip, and everyone around them, revolves around the trip leader and his enjoyment. They are hired help, paid for by the paying customers.

Some hypothetical examples off the top of my head. Would you expect the trip leader to sort things out in each case? Maybe nothing could be solved, but would you expect them to complain on your behalf?
  • You pay for a non-smoking room, but are given one which clearly had been used by smokers.
  • The resort's website says they offer vegetarian meals. A vegetarian guest discovers this just means the same food is served without meat. For example, meat-eaters get steak, veggies, and potatoes. Vegetarians are given those same veggies and potatoes only, no meat alternative.
  • A new diver's gear rented from the resort keeps having problems. The regulator leaks bubbles. The fin straps come undone. The BCD has a missing buckle. Would the trip leader take charge of this?
  • A guest catches covid and needs to stay in their room the whole time. Would you expect the trip leader to offer to get medicine?
  • A guest needs to arrive a day late. This guest then needs special transportation from the airport because the main shuttle only operates on transfer days. Would you expect the trip leader to help with this?
  • The trip is advertised as 3 dives a day, but upon arrival you're told they scaled back to 2 because of staff shortages. Would you expect the trip leader to complain?
  • One diver in the group doesn't listen to the dive guide. He/she doesn't stay with the group, goes too deep, or otherwise just isn't a team player and causes problems for everyone else. Should the trip leader handle this?
1 to 3. yes if the resort/hotel/liveaboard isn't helpful after raising the issue
4. maybe, but this one is iffy
5. yes, if the resort/hotel/liveaboard hasn't planned the transfer in advance already
6. yes, for some type of partial refund
7. yes if the dive guide hasn't

I expect the dive leader appointed by your LDS would be annoying to say the least.
What dive trips have you taken, where, when and how did you do your booking? Tell us more about your dive experiences and your worldwide travels please.

Most important, how did you arrive at this opinion? What algorithm did you use?

Back
Top Bottom