What do you guys think about the new Official GoPro Dive Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Cwalina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like the design but seems a bit pricy. What does the community think?
Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.25.08 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.25.23 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-08-11 at 6.25.59 AM.jpg

Do you have a link to the product specs and other info?

So I have one, and so far I love it. Fits perfectly on the dive housing. It is made of glass, which has pros/cons.

Pro is the optical quality, con is that it can easily break.

Either way, so far I have been very happy with the results from this filter. As far as price, at $69 it is not cheap, but I think the build quality is high and the results are great.

As far as price, at $69 it is not cheap

That's about the price of the FLIP3.1, isn't it? I'm just starting to research filters, and don't know what I don't know :D. Am I missing something in the comparison?

So it is real? It is quite odd that this is not listed on the official sites. The first time I saw this (last month) was on the "China GoPro seller site" on Taobao . I thought it was a fake. Then recently I saw a dive buddy using it. Nice metal quality. But I think a flip is still a better solution.

That's about the price of the FLIP3.1, isn't it? I'm just starting to research filters, and don't know what I don't know :D. Am I missing something in the comparison?

Without going into a full comparison of the two, I will say it serves the same purpose as the Flip 3.1 if all you need is a single filter. The Flip system (which I also have) does go a bit further in that you can configure it for two filters, or a single filter and a diopter.

The Flip does add some bulk, where the GoPro filter does not.

At the end of the day, not sure one is really better than the other, as they both do their required task well...which is provide red filtration.

One of the advantages touted by the Flip is you can well flip it and clear off any air bubbles from the lens after descending. I would assume the Gopro version has to be removed and hopefully has a strap on it to keep from loosing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom