What do you think of cave/cavern diving?

• Too dark, too dangerous, no way.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Why would you dive to look at rocks and mud?

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • I'd do caverns, but not full cave penetration.

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • It is challenging and exciting.

Votes: 77 44.3%
  • I am only happy when wedged in a deep dark hole.

Votes: 27 15.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man:

I rarely think about them at all. I've made a fair number of cavern dives, no cave dives. I'm not really a fan of fresh water, although it does beat staying dry.

RJP:
How about wreck penetration?

A wreck is nothing more than a metal cave.

If that were true, I'd be qualified to dive caves and cavers would be qualified to penetrate wrecks. Neither is the case.

Rhone Man:
you don't go hundreds...of feet into wrecks.

I do.

Rhone Man:
Wrecks make me nervous, but I'll do it. Not caves though.

In some ways, wrecks are more dangerous than caves.

Kevin Carlisle:
Wrong.. The concept may be the same in theory but thats it. In a wreck you dont see beautiful geological formations or fossils from millions of years ago. Cant compare the two.

True, but I love wrecks and have no interest in caves. Different strokes.

The photos and videos I've seen convey some great beauty.

The poll is missing my answer: I'm interested in caving, but am not trained (yet).

It is, but they (usually) have multiple exits, and you don't go hundreds (or thousands) of feet into wrecks. Wrecks make me nervous, but I'll do it. Not caves though.

You don't?

:lotsalove:

For me, cave diving is a highly enjoyable and fulfilling pursuit. Why? All subjective but here are my reasons:

- Going where (relatively) few go creating a sense of exploration even when you're not laying a new line
- Skill intensive, so providing a sense of satisfaction in being good enough to undertake this safely
- Protocol and team intensive, so intellectually challenging and thus satisfying
- Coordinated team diving with other highly qualified and skilled divers - being part of a high-functioning team
- Unique and beautiful formations
- Don't get blown out by random weather - you pretty well know if a cave is going to be diveable or not in advance

I'll accept that one can experience many of these without going into caves, but for me, it's a uniquely fulfilling combination.

WIPO: really tempting, but I don't have the time/dedication to do the training to be able to go there safely - so they'll stay out of reach.

The only reason I haven't gotten into it is the cost of new equipment and lots more training...one day I'll set aside the time/money for it.

The photos and videos I've seen convey some great beauty.

The poll is missing my answer: I'm interested in caving, but am not trained (yet).

You don't?

:lotsalove:

I'm with Marc....I would absolutely love (one day) to cave dive. However, at my level of training, I'm nowhere near ready to actually be a cave diver.

As for wrecks being metal caves, while the overhead aspect of it is similar, I think there are a fair number of differences. Not to mention, many people are interested in one and not the other (wrecks do nothing to excite me whereas I find caves to be so intriguing....don't know why).

I'm one that does not get it. I've been in caves, I've been underwater, I've even seen pictures of caves underwater but I don't have a desire to tie them all together. If you like them, good for you-give me the open sea.

I was going more for the "How do you feel about it" than the "Do you (or would you) do it?" approach, but I take your point.

you don't go hundreds (or thousands) of feet into wrecks

You don't?

Clearly you can if you find a wreck big enough (although I certainly don't). But I recall in Gary Gentile's book him saying despite the great fear wreck divers have of getting lost inside, in reality only on a tiny minority of wrecks can you find yourself more than 200 feet from an exit. Obviously if you go down five decks on the Brittanic or the Empress of Ireland you may as well be in a cave, but generally speaking I think wreck penetrations involve laying a lot less line.

I'll be able to answer your question in a coupla weeks ... my cave training begins in nine days ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom