What do you think of this setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UofO Scaup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is from the Backscatter web site. For $300 more I could get the Sola 2000 Flood Only lights instead. Which would you choose? Would you add anything or change something? Any of this unnecessary? I like the idea of the GoBe interchangeable lenses so the lights could be used as a dive light. I'm not sure if the Sola flood only light would be useful as a general dive light.

Merchandise Subtotal​
$1,193.83

You don't really need lights in most cases, filters will do the job up to 20-25 meters. If you can spare the money, get them, but I'd suggest trying it out without the lights.

Unless you plan to dive on very green water (i.e. lakes? uk?), a magenta filter is not really needed. I have used a red filter on "greenish" water and it did the job.

Just on filter and accessories for your filter system, there almost $300 there - enough even for another camera. You can get filters that do the same color correction (less the macro) for $10 and a few more bucks for a magenta or shallow water filter.

Should work-----get it & report back with some videos.........

You don't really need lights in most cases, filters will do the job up to 20-25 meters. If you can spare the money, get them, but I'd suggest trying it out without the lights.

Unless you plan to dive on very green water (i.e. lakes? uk?), a magenta filter is not really needed. I have used a red filter on "greenish" water and it did the job.

Just on filter and accessories for your filter system, there almost $300 there - enough even for another camera. You can get filters that do the same color correction (less the macro) for $10 and a few more bucks for a magenta or shallow water filter.

I do not agree, a mediocre camera with good lights will produce better results than a good camera without lights. And the GoPro is not a mediocre camera.

Can I suggest you check our our Go-Pro cameras, lights, filters, trays, arms etc. We sell direct, so we can often save the diver a lot of money.

Also, filters WILL help in moderately deep water to add color when you are shooting large subjects that are more than 3-5 feet away. However, if you want to take quality close up video, within about 6 inches and 3-4 feet, you will have much, much better results with a pair of quality wide angle lights, compared to a filter. You will get much better resolution, color and clarity when you shoot with lights and get close to your subject.

Thanks

Dano

GoPro Cameras / Speargun Camera Brackets

If you want to spend that amount of money right from the start that up to you. I presume you are interested in using your hands to video. You can purchase a camera pole with a dive light mount for a fraction of the price and use the light mount as a stabilizing handle if you want to steady your shot.
Just a thought. www.zgearinc.com This is could a good option for you if you don't want to spend alot. ( scuba board members can recieve 20% DISCOUNT ON ALL Z Gear products just enter sbmember at checkout).

s780561385371224093_p4_i6_w608.png

I do not agree, a mediocre camera with good lights will produce better results than a good camera without lights. And the GoPro is not a mediocre camera.

I agree on the benefits of lights - my point is that the benefit for the cost is not something that makes it a mandatory addition.

The still below was taken without any lights at 15 meters (50 feet) using only a $10 red filter.

10373776_10203697242773754_657633976111819588_n.jpg

For me, 1000 lumens/light is the minimum I recommend for video, and keep in mind that you want the widest beam possible. You may get away with 60 degrees, but look for 90.

toozler-

The OP is in Eugene, OR and looking at a green water filter. In the Northern Pacific, there is nothing optional about lights.

I will say that green water filters can be a bit hit or miss because unlike clear blue water, green water can come in many shades and tints. As a result the filter will work better on some days than others. You can get around this a bit through post processing, or get several shades of green water filter to use, and try them out in different conditions.

Alex

The GoBe setup has dual 60 deg 700 lumen lights. Would that equal 1400 lux where the beams of light overlap? Meaning, if you have double the lights is it twice as bright?
The Sola 2000 setup has dual 70 deg, 2000 lumen lights. Seems that the wider beam and greater lumens output this would be the better choice. Seems like a lot more light for the money.
Has anyone used the MacroMate? The video I saw made is sound like focusing with the Macro lens was accomplished by holding the camera at the correct distance from the subject. Seems like this could be an issue.

I like it! I have a very similar system. The lights are great and work very well. The filters work well, though I don't have the one for green water. The MacroMate is a bit tricky to use but once you figure out the focus distance it works well. I used the system on a trip. I saved all the files on a portable hard drive to make room on the 2 cards I had. The portable drive crashed and I lost all the files. Be sure to buy enough cards and don't just save the files somewhere else, back them up in more than one place. Lesson learned for me. It will take some practice but you will get some great video with that setup.

Back
Top Bottom