What do you use against sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am fortunate I don't suffer from it. My wife swears by peppermint beadlets and ginger candy. That being said, I don't think I will ever get her to ride the Cozumel ferry ever again.

Embrace the sea sickness. Eat a big can of Chef Boy R Dee ravioli or Vienna Sausages and just go with it. Where else do you get to barf on the feet of total strangers and not get the crap beat out of you?

Never have an empty stomach.
Don’t be on drugs.
Don’t be on alcohol.
Be properly hydrated.
Get proper sleep, don’t be fatigued.
Be warm. (People forget this)

Once I was in 3-4 m waves on a 12 hour barge transportation journey in the black of night and oh god the waves were hitting the wheelhouse at the stern which was 20m 66feet from the bow, and I remember having to walk across the deck to get to the galley and almost falling over. Next thing I knew I was in the kitchen and spewing my guts out in the sink. God that was horrible.

People say that you get over sea sickness, but you don’t. Or you’ll find your sea legs, you don’t, it’s all about how much you can take. People have different capacities. I am well used to being on water for 10 hour straight sailing days and boat a lot but everyone gets seasick.

Never get on the boat with an empty stomach.
I always eat a sausage & egg mcmuffin the morning of a dive.

:eek:

:D

Ouch I would feel sick eating that before a dive...
I eat bread with ham and I drink still water, preferably room temperature

This is the answer.

They sell it with this name in the UK, but not in Italy
Anyway it seems the scientific name is Hyoscine
Hyoscine - Wikipedia

Interesting, perhaps they also sell it here with a different commercial name

May I ask why do you consider it better than the alternatives?

Bonine - not sure what generic name is.

Important thing is to take it the night before AND morning of. If I don’t do both, I’m “off,” even though I don’t get nauseous.

:eek:

:D

Ouch I would feel sick eating that before a dive...
I eat bread with ham and I drink still water, preferably room temperature
LOL. It seems to work for me, I've never been seasick.

Between dives I'll eat fruit and some peanut butter crackers for energy.

+1 for Bonine, or the generic. We took a friend, who was a prolific sea sickness participant, on a 4 hour boat ride in St. Lucia, after convincing him to try the Bonine. He was fine on that trip, and now uses it religiously when on a boat. While I normally do not have a problem with motion sickness, every now and then we encounter very rough seas on a cruise, and the Bonine works great at keeping it at bay.

They sell it with this name in the UK, but not in Italy
Anyway it seems the scientific name is Hyoscine
Hyoscine - Wikipedia

Interesting, perhaps they also sell it here with a different commercial name

May I ask why do you consider it better than the alternatives?
I have fairly extensive experience with bad seasickness diving in the Puget Sound, Cancun and Cozumel area including going out with native fishermen there for 8 hour days in a small boat with bad waves, sometimes out of sight of land. I was sick almost every diving day for 16-17 years of visiting there. Throwing up through my reg on safety stops. Laying flat in the bottom of the boat unable to even talk to people then managing to get equipment on, feeling ok below wave action and sick again as we approached the surface. I used Dramamine and meclazine, taking two tablets the night before and more in the morning with limited good results. After I started to use Hyoscine my problems completely disappeared with the exception of some extreme trips with the fishermen when they were seasick too. Even then I stayed functional. I take Meclazine the night before, I want to sleep anyway, and Hyoscine in the morning. You can buy it online from Australia. Costs about $1/pill and would be cheap at 10 times that. Hyoscine is the active ingredient in the Scoplamine patch but with the pills you only have to take it when you need it. I have had no side affects but I am fairly resistant to antihistamines. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom