What do you use against sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...May I ask why do you consider it better than the alternatives?

scopolamine is arguably one of the most effective prescription seasickness drugs that WAS sold in the USA. Kwells is the same ingredient as you mentioned. We dive every week and I can handle the 3-5 footers for a day trip. But if I'm diving back to back days plus sleeping on the boat and it's going to be a rolling 5 footer swell without chop then I'll take a single Kwells in the morning. I think everyone's body is different. Kwells just works over a long period swell on several days for me. I get mine out of Austrailia and keep some in my drybag as well as a backup stock. It's strong stuff and it works for me, no prescription needed.

While reading your answers I started reading something about the several drugs we are talking about here...dimenhydrinate can be used to provoke delirium and Hyoscine is an alcaloid and can provoke allucinations. Ok the dose is low but I didn’t know about this. Perhaps better to stick to ginger, the worst side effect is you have to go to the loo...

While reading your answers I started reading something about the several drugs we are talking about here...dimenhydrinate can be used to provoke delirium and Hyoscine is an alcaloid and can provoke allucinations. Ok the dose is low but I didn’t know about this. Perhaps better to stick to ginger, the worst side effect is you have to go to the loo...
No, the worst side effect is you can't dive because you are too sick to gear up.

they don't market "triptone" anymore but if you google the active chemical in it there is a walgreens brand that has the same chemical.

I found a discussion on it. It actually explains many things on several drugs.
Triptone
Triptone main ingredient should be di Dimenhydrinate, like in Dramamine

I noticed that there are several old discussions, some of them specific for the different types of products. In the headings I reported both the chemical names (first) and some common commercial names (always the last). Then there are the links to some discussions

Comparison discussions
Best tablet for sea sickness?

Dimenhydrinate/Dramamine
Dramamine before diving
dramamine and diving?

Hyoscine/Scopolamine/Kwells
Kwells for seasickness - Availability?
Scopolamine Side Effects

Ginger
Ginger works!

White flower oil
NO DISCUSSIONS

Meclizine / Bonine
Using Meclizine

Cinnirazine / Stugeron
Prone to Sea Sickness? Cinnarizine!

Bonine. One tablet about an hour before the dive. If I arrive at the dive and see the conditions are bit sporty, I take another one. No side affects for me. I used to take Dramamine but it didn't work for me. I've taken ginger, too, which didn't work. I did learn one great skill, however. I can throw up in my regulator with no problem! I've used the patch behind the ear and it worked but they are darn expensive and require a prescription. I'm so glad Bonine works since I can get it over-the-counter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom