What do you use to hold your octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using one of these: Trident Silicone Octo Holder with Clip Works well so far. I didn't pay the listed 4.95 for it, but it cost almost the same as what my LDS was charging for snorkel keepers (too much... $2-$3 or something). I also have one of those scubapro ones, which I haven't tried yet, but I got it "free" when my bought my reg. I'll probably toss it in the save a dive kit for when the one I'm using breaks.

How does buoyancy control keep the mouthpiece clean & clear in water that hasn't had the benefit of being run through a Britta filter?

The primary issue with 'crud' in an AAS is it dragging the bottom. That's a combination of buoyancy control and a reliable method of securing it.

I'm not sure what you're predicting the Scubapro mouthpiece would do to prevent suspended particulate/contaminated water from entering the AAS. It doesn't make a water tight seal (if it did, you wouldn't be able to release it against the water pressure). Thus, when water enters past the holder, bringing along with it any matter in suspension.

Of course, the moment you disengage the AAS to use it... it's going to fill with water anyway... yep.... you know it. :wink:

I don't wholely disagree with your basic premise, but this works.

Don't get me wrong... I didn't say it doesn't work. Pretty much all the different octo-holder designs work, to a greater or lesser degree.

I just find it interesting how the scuba industry 're-invents the wheel' in regards to simple items... just to add some element of novelty and permit grandiose and unsubstantiated marketing claims.

In general, I just find that the more complicated a solution, the less effective it is. In this instance, the Scubabpro has a lot more to break/fail and also relies on (diminishing) elasticity to secure the AAS mouthpiece. Over time, these designs start failing and AAS get dangled. I've seen it over and over again... when dive centers I've worked at have trialed these, and other, designs.

I paid < $10, so cost is not exactly an issue.

That'd pay for what? 4x cylinder fills/shore dives? :wink:

That'd pay for what? 4x cylinder fills/shore dives? :wink:

I wish!!!!!

Best I have found here is $7.50 on a fill card, $10 otherwise. :(

Hmmm..... the marketing whizzes sure know how to extract money from the inexperienced...

This...

trident-r532.jpg

versus this...

silicone_occy_holder_large.jpg

or this....

29380_714427389688_6701843_40355741_3861480_n.jpg

Of course, the ADDED benefit of using a snorkel holder is that you only need one of them in your save-a-dive kit... to replace either a broken snorkel holder...or a broken octo-holder. I've even used one (with some zip-ties) to temporarily replace a broken fin-strap :wink: It also takes no space in a save-a-dive kit, or even BCD pocket (for during-dive use).

As I've said before.... all of these designs fulfill the same basic function as octo-holders. Some are ineffective, but most are adequate. That means the primary differentiating factors are cost, weight, complexity and bulk. On these factors, you can't beat a snorkel holder.

The ones that I mainly criticise are the awful.... truly, absolutely awful.... 'ball type' octo-holders. These are difficult to fit, often drop out and are very bulky on the BCD. There's no reason whatsoever to use these very bad designs...

1309021898-91592100.jpg
octo-ball.jpg

That's what I like about you - your shy, retiring nature.

One day, though, you might want to open up and offer an opinion or two.

:rofl3:

Once I was teaching in OW session in a remote location and a student had his octo holder break before we entered the water. We had no replacement. I happened to have a small loop of bungee cord in my possession (yes, it has a use but that's a different story). I pulled it through itself in the D-ring to secure it, leaving a loop about the size of the mouthpiece. It worked better than any purchased octo holder I had ever used.

These are so cheap and foolproof that I suggest to my students who do not own their own equipment to buy a 1/2 dozen of these and take them when they travel for their referrals. If they forget and leave it on the rental, no big deal.

I have been using this clip on both my personal and rental gear and it works really well. This is the only clip that I have found which keeps the gear in place and allows students easy removal and replacement during AAS exercises. I have tried most other solutions and this is my favorite :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom