What does a DM make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j1b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Falling under the "dumb" question bucket, but roughly what does a DM make?

I understand this will vary based on location, experience, amt of diving etc. But in general I'm just wondering what a DM makes?

Actually, what I'm really wondering is how one can make a decent living in this dive business. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) my family and I have done very well professionally. So we kind of have a standard of living that would be difficult to change. Now I know a DM doesn't have what we have. But it feels like that's the starting point to a career.

Secondarily, just wondering how someone can make a decent living in the dive industry. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Falling under the "dumb" question bucket, but roughly what does a DM make?

Jack

DM usually makes enough that your overall annual cost for diving is a little less than it would have been if you weren't a DM.

:cool2:

Seriously

You said it... it really depends on what you're doing and where you are.

Sometimes you can expect about $1-2 a tank, other DMs in popular locations actually work to pay off their DM course, but then on the other side of the coin, you can expect to earn about $1000 a week DM'ing in the Gallapagos, but they are special.

As a rule of thumb, the more people doing it in that particular location, the less you get paid. But if you have very specific local knowledge or skills, then the rate goes up.

HTH

In two words or less: Not much!

But you meet the nicest people!

In a lot of tropical locations people pay to be a DM (they call that an "internship").

Dive shops/training facilities have much earning potential. There are also dive gear manufacturers...

If you work as a DM full time (read 7 days a week for 6 months, 12hr+ days) somewhere like the med you'll earn about €600 a month.

Its similar elsewhere. Its not a career choice, its something to supplmenent another career.

In California you get a free boat ride. Of course, you have to board the boat the night before the trip to check divers in, get everyone to sign waivers, give pre-dive briefings at each site, check divers in and out of the water, make any needed rescues, and anything the crew needs help with. For a single overnight trip you will work from 10-15 hours, all for a free boat ride. If you're lucky they will let you make the last dive of the day. There is no money involved. The tip jar is for the crew only.

My dive shop manager was justing talking about this yesterday with myself and another DM candidate.

If a DM is needed for an open water class there is a set fee paid to the DM.
This would be if the DM was working all class sessions, pool sessions and open water sessions.
I estimate about 40 hours of work when I DM an Open Water class from start to finish.

If an instructor wants a DM for a specialty class, AOW or rescue its a discussion between the instructor and DM -- The DM is not paid directly by the shop it comes from the instructor from the money he/she made from the teaching the class.

A DM around here certainly isn't a full time job but you get to make a little money to offset your expenses and you get to meet a whole bunch of new divers. Most of the instructors here also have other jobs but a few are trying scuba teaching full time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom