What does a DM make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Standard of living , difficult to change? I loved that part. Most DM's would be lucky to get back the money they paid for professional insurance, DAN insurance and agency dues.

Falling under the "dumb" question bucket, but roughly what does a DM make?

I understand this will vary based on location, experience, amt of diving etc. But in general I'm just wondering what a DM makes?

Actually, what I'm really wondering is how one can make a decent living in this dive business. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) my family and I have done very well professionally. So we kind of have a standard of living that would be difficult to change. Now I know a DM doesn't have what we have. But it feels like that's the starting point to a career.

Secondarily, just wondering how someone can make a decent living in the dive industry. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Jack

In the Keys DM's make about 40-60 bucks per dive. So if you lead a dive in the morning and a dive in the afternoon you'll make 80-120 bucks + tips. Unfortunately, it costs a friggin fortune to live in the keys. So don't plan on making a decent living there.

To me, being a DM is priceless. I am not making a lot of money, but I am very weathly (in happiness, not $$). The way I look at it, I make at least $95 (the average cost of a two-tank dive and nitrox tanks) every time I DM. The rest of the money is in tips alone, which can vary. Sometimes you can have 3 people on board and get $35 in tips, sometimes you'll have 18 people and get $20, and lots of in betweens. If you love doing it, the money is a bonus. You can't count on a min. or max., because it changes depending on your customers. You can't make a living on DM'ing, but you can have a great life if you're willing to give up "things" that you have to support with a high lifestyle. It's not for everybody. Only you can decide what's most important to you, and what makes living worthwhile.

To me, being a DM is priceless. I am not making a lot of money, but I am very weathly (in happiness, not $$). The way I look at it, I make at least $95 (the average cost of a two-tank dive and nitrox tanks) every time I DM. The rest of the money is in tips alone, which can vary. Sometimes you can have 3 people on board and get $35 in tips, sometimes you'll have 18 people and get $20, and lots of in betweens. If you love doing it, the money is a bonus. You can't count on a min. or max., because it changes depending on your customers. As my sig line suggests, you can't make a living on DM'ing, but you can have a great life if you're willing to give up "things" that you have to support a high lifestyle. It's not for everybody. Only you can decide what's most important to you, and what makes living worthwhile.

You are extremely luck to be affiliated with your dive center. Few are run so well...

Scuba Diving Jupiter with Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida.

in Aust... virtually nothing from the information I've received.

the shop i will be doing mine pays in kind with cheap gear and free fills. instructors earn $$ though.

on the GBR everyone i talked to was an instructor... not one staff on the day boat i was on was a DM only (there was one who was also a commerical boat licence holder, whatever they're called...)

That's interesting, I've never heard of a dive center that actually charged you tuition to work at their business. I've heard of many internships where although you don't get paid, you receive training, accommodations, and get access to a lot of diving.

Has anybody here taken an internship that charged tuition? To me, that's simply a well-marketed course that requires you to work your butt off and rely on tips (at the expense of the other crew) to survive while not being treated like a customer or student.

It cost me £250 for my DM course. For that I got all the manuals etc, free air and a discount on gear. I often paid for my travel expenses to dive sites, and almost always paid my own entry fees to inland sites. I also paid for my own HSE medical (compulsory if you dive at work in the UK) though the shop paid for my insurance. The students bought me bacon sandwiches or beer, but we don't really have a tipping culture here so I was never given cash.

I learned loads, met some nice people and had a great time though.

I worked as a guide in Egypt for a short while, the pay was $12 per dive. Tips varied from nothing up to $100 a week per diver.

Having just started into my diving adventures I am obviously not a "professional" at this point.

That said, if one were interested in becoming a "professional" in the sport of diving, why would one stop at Dive Master rating, and not continue right on to the instructor level? I've heard on here, and at the different LDS that I support, that the instructor level is where you can actually make some money (albeit not a lot I'm told).

Anyway, just curious why people don't go all the way to instructor?

For many divers DM is good enough. Maybe they just want to work a boat every so often or help with a class. The reality is most instructors don't teach much and after investing a lot of time and money in the certs they don't earn enough to pay off the bill.

Back
Top Bottom