What does a DM make

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In California you get a free boat ride. Of course, you have to board the boat the night before the trip to check divers in, get everyone to sign waivers, give pre-dive briefings at each site, check divers in and out of the water, make any needed rescues, and anything the crew needs help with. For a single overnight trip you will work from 10-15 hours, all for a free boat ride. If you're lucky they will let you make the last dive of the day. There is no money involved. The tip jar is for the crew only.

:confused: The tips do not include the DM? I've never heard of that!

Greetings j1b and welcome to Scuba Board. Your question has a lot of variables but unless you are abroad in a remote location it is going to be tough to make enough cash to the level you currently are.
Saying that many have chosen to live with less and surround themselves with diving 24/7. It is not for everyone but some would not have it any other way.

My intention to DM was to give back to the sport that I love and encourage others to dive.
Compensation as it is amounts to refresher coarse now and them but the real advantage is the gear deals from the shop. This can be a double edged sword for some as you will be gear poor very soon.
Free air fills and rental gear if need be.
You will donate a lot of personal dive time training and you should keep your day job so to speak as it will allow you to do more diving.

My experience is very simple tons of work, awesome relationships, and some out of this world dive buddies. I have been on dives that will be forever etched in my memory. Both training and with friends I have met training!
It has been a priceless experience that I would not want to soil by the yolk of compensation! When your love becomes your job it diminishes it's value!
Just my thoughts and opinions and you will have to decide for yourself.
Go for it and get started. Ease into it and see what you think.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

:confused: The tips do not include the DM? I've never heard of that!

Only if the DM is part of the crew. If a shop or private party charters the boat, the DM works for free.

In a lot of tropical locations people pay to be a DM (they call that an "internship").

That's interesting, I've never heard of a dive center that actually charged you tuition to work at their business. I've heard of many internships where although you don't get paid, you receive training, accommodations, and get access to a lot of diving.

Has anybody here taken an internship that charged tuition? To me, that's simply a well-marketed course that requires you to work your butt off and rely on tips (at the expense of the other crew) to survive while not being treated like a customer or student.

Last edited:
A DM is the bottom of the professional ladder. There is no decent living available. Do it because you love it. Now on Roatan many DM's will earn 20 bucks a day which is double the average pay so........

Have you heard that PADI stands for Poor And Destitute Instructors?

Imagine one step downhill. Dive Masters make even less. It is a labor of love.

I officiate high school and junior college sports: football, basketball and baseball. I barely make enough to cover expenses after paying for travel, meals, uniforms and schools. It is something I do to give back to the people who need the officials to make the game fun. Sure, I make about six grand a year, but I get to see some awesome games from the best seat in the house!

Only if the DM is part of the crew. If a shop or private party charters the boat, the DM works for free.

Really? If a shop charters a boat, isn't the DM an employee of the shop and thus, paid by the shop? I'm pretty sure they are not working for free. If a private party charters a boat, the cost either includes a DM that gets paid (if arranged by the boat/capt) or the party may hire their own DM which means he's still getting paid.

I realize a DM won't make enough to sustain himself usually. My goal is like someone else said....supplement my other income. I'll retire from the military and go to a tropical dive destination where my pension goes further. Then whatever I make as a DM or instructor will just be a bonus. :D 6-7 years to go!!!

when a shop charters the boat the most you can hope for is a free trip out of it but usually an instructor gets that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom