What equipment significantly changed/improved your scuba diving experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that adding buoyancy control, a submersible pressure gage and an alternate reg to our rigs were all dam pleasant changes. Of course dry suits, BP/W and even the bungeed short hose alternate which all are more recent are pretty neat too.

fwiw denier is a unit not a material. grams/9000meters. the "x denier" material you see is all cordura nylon. Came out in the 1920's. It's just a heavy duty plain weave, but it has changed a lot of products, especially military.
random textile fact of the day.
Oh, denier and cotton count are inverse. cotton count is 840yards/lb so the bigger the cotton count the finer the yarn and the bigger the denier the thicker the yarn. stupid industry standards.

-training
-bp/wing, necklace, better hose routing
-training
-2nd stage inline adjustment tool
-drysuit
-training
-side mounting
-training
-force fins
-rebreather
-lots of training

-I love the equipment, but the training, and good experienced dive buddy's is what is really helping me improve.

First and foremost would be steel tanks. Never dove with them until this year and oh my gosh are they ever wonderful! I loved trying all different sizes, and getting the ones that suited me the best. Even better having to fiddle around with less lead!

Secondly, but very important would be drysuit. I was ready to call it in for the year and then I got a terrific bargain on a used suit. Have only done 10 dives with it so far but it has made me one happy girl.

Getting my own BC that fit, hands down. I looove my BC. Yes, I'm gushing!

Tied for second place:
Having all/most of my own gear*, which I "know," and which I can tweak to my satisfaction.
What I've learned here on Scubaboard, which has led to learning and trying new things in the water.

(*I still don't have tanks; nor do I have anything "exotic,", such as DPV, drysuit, etc.)

I love the "ottery" feeling of swimming so monkey diving looks like it would be super fun. I hope I can try it some day. Then maybe DPV will be at the top of the list?

Blue Sparkle

Halcyon BP/W
Quality Hoodies
Drysuit
Can LED
SP Jet Fins, can now do all the kicking styles with ease
Exhaust Tee/Bubble deflectors for my S600

and V-Planner

For me it was something decidedly low-tech - a pair of White's MK3 Thermal Socks. My feet getting cold was my limiting factor. Since I've been using those, life is good!

Awesome post, I'm new to diving, so all my gear is new, and I havent changed any gear or tried anything else yet. But it's interesting to read what improved other divers experience and might improve mine.. I dont own tanks yet, plan on getting a pair in the spring, are steels that much better to dive with??

Back plate and wing.. and soon to be Drysuit. When I get cold in the water, after so long of being cold, I literally can't think straight. I'll be ordering a dry suit very soon, and so far the experience I've had diving one has made a world of difference.

I was diving a back inflate BCD, and I got BP &W for my birthday. All the clutter and whatnot from my old BC is gone. What a nice change. I didn't need all the extra stuff (pockets, d-rings, etc), especially since I'm headed down the technical tunnel. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom