What Fins for Rescue in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd use the same fins you'll use when diving routinely. When a rescue situation presents itself, you won't have time to switch fins. Might as well practice in what you'll use most of the time.

Given the above, I'm not sure it's possible to recommend a specific fin. In my limited experience, when things go sideways (pear-shaped?), your fins will not be what you're concerned with.

As a side angle, as long as the fin is decent enough and powerful enough I'd say one of the most important things to consider is how quickly can you get them on and off your feet. If you are dragging a diver out the water and you need to remove your fins first can you do so easily. How quickly can you don them if you are on the shoreline and headed into the water to do a rescue. Whatever fins you use - make sure they have a good spring strap on them so you don't have to fuss around with buckles and clasps when you are in a hurry

Japan's premier diving equipment manufacturer Gull has the Safe Mew Rescue Fin in its product range:
imgrc0065726980.jpg

As well as the "safety orange" colour, their distinctive feature is a white cross on the bottom of the blade.
GullMewSafefins-3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom