What Fins to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring Straps,Once you've tried them, you'll never go back.

They are just too easy to don/doff, and almost never snag on stuff.

I fell backward off a "Panga style" dive boat once
and finished putting one fin on plus put the
other one on while doing an UW backflip.

Then cleared a freeflowing reg while surfacing.
(It's just tweaked & always does this)

Hope this helps.

PS: Spring Straps are now purchased by me anytime I get new fins.
I just consider them to be that important.

How about a pair of Jets+spring straps?

Another plug for Morfins. They have a "No Hassle" strap that's very easy to use.

One bit of advice on straps...make sure that you can fit two fingers in between your tendon and your strap when they are in place. Too tight of a strap is difficult to doff and don and it also wears out and breaks quickly. Try the Figure Four method of bringing your foot up to your knee while floating to deal with your fins. I've seen thousands of people struggle with their fins over the years. When I show them this method they quickly stop struggling. Try it, no matter which fins you use.

How about the Atomic Liquid Blue Split fins with the spring strap? The Liquid Blue fins (they are blue and semi translucent white, very fashionable) are lighter than your regular split fins and slightly positively bouyant (i.e. they float!). I've tried my buddy's pair and it takes lesser effort to fin with them than the regular split fins. This might be easier on your back, plus they are lighter to lug around :)

And yes, I suggest you try out a whole host of fins in a pool first =)

Dive-Rite have been on my feet more than any other fin since my first set of Jet fins! They are light and easy to travel with and hard to beat for power!

I have a pair of jet fin knock offs for diving wet and turtles for diving dry.

I hope so too.

Would it have made any sense to TRY them before you bought them?
That's not always possible.

OMS Slipstreams. Add spring straps and you are around the 125 dollar range. Half the weight of Jets and a (personal opinion) tad stiffer than jets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom