What gear do I need & what is recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I'd say rent everything as long as you can, provided you're comfortable. First item to buy would be exposure protection and a BP/W setup is always nice and versatile

1). Since I never had good experience with rental BCD and Reg during my first dives, my vote is for these two. And if you want to buy, go for the good one. (find out from research, recomendations etc):

- It's neccessary investment if you dive a lot.

- Save you in long term if you get the 'right' one on the first buy instead of changing later.

- Get you familiar with your own setup and usage habit, it saves learning time big deal instead of trying to adapt to every crappy rental pieces every time.

- Save the stress from rental equipment failure (for newbie, leaking, faulty can break the dive or even dangerous and create fear and panic).

2). Dive computer is important to monitor your profile and as safety reminder. I bought everything and hang on with analog watch and by following my group's profile and thought it's enough.
When I got one myself, I realize how important it is because dive profiles are never the same.

3). Wetsuit, this one should come first for hygiene reason. Divers pee. And pee. And pee.

The right exposure protection lets you dive more. If I had been stuck in 7mm wetsuits I would have never dove enough to get any meaningful regular experience. A drysuit let me dive a lot more.

The big decision seems to be between getting the BC or the reg first. I read dozens of questions and answers and asked a few of my own, then happily went out and bought my reg this weekend. I am looking at the possibility of diving in a month or 2 in Cozumel with my very own regulator and it's not likely I'll have my BC by then. So it occurs to me, how do I hook up my regulator to my rented BC? I asked my dive shop this and he said the BC comes with the hose. Hence my dilemma. I could buy a hose and they could put it on, then when I get my BC I'd have an extra. But do I really need to spend $30 on an extra hose that will be old when I need it?
The simple answer is there is no simple answer.
(if I go to Cozumel I'll bring my reg and see if the local shop will slap on a hose for the day's diving or something like that).
By the way, I got a computer for starters simply because I could not wait and came across a tremendous buy (Sherwood Wisdom II with compass and quick-release for $399 (used 4 times in fresh water)). Other than that I did what these great people suggest. Things that need to fit. I got my hood, boots, gloves, suits (3 mil shorty and a 7 mil monster), a sausage (did you see that movie where the divers were left at sea?), whistle, light and anything in the catalogs that looked cool. GO GO GADGET!

Well thanks for all the suggestions. Let me fill everyone in on what I have so far (being scuba santa came to visit):D

Mares Avanti Superchannel fins
Genesis Tri-View Mask
Oceanic Ultra Dry Snorkle
Henderson 5mm Gripper Boots
Akona Deluxe Gloves
Henderson 7/3mm Hood
Oceanic geo dive computer
Pinnacle 7mm wetsuit

I am looking into a bp&w (doing research on that now). I have a used dry suit in the works, but not sure if that will pan out yet. Then I need a reg and some odd and ends and I think I will be ready to go for a swim. Keep the recomendations coming everyone, thanks again.

heh, you remind me of me.
I feel like there is something wrong until I get everything all nice and neat and organized... & getting the equipment is part of it!

I am looking for some advise on what gear I need to purchase to dive. I have the mask, snorkle, boots, fins, gloves and hood. I know that I need a BC, reg, wet / dry suit ect, ect but the real question here is what is necessary to go enjoy a dive and what can wait? I would like to eventually get into all aspects of diving and one day teach others. With that said I do not want to waste my money on something to find out it needs to be replaced to move forward with different types of diving. Hope this makes sense.

it really depends on what kind of budget you have... it's that simple. :)

I am looking for some advise on what gear I need to purchase to dive. I have the mask, snorkle, boots, fins, gloves and hood. I know that I need a BC, reg, wet / dry suit ect, ect but the real question here is what is necessary to go enjoy a dive and what can wait? I would like to eventually get into all aspects of diving and one day teach others. With that said I do not want to waste my money on something to find out it needs to be replaced to move forward with different types of diving. Hope this makes sense.

The more that you can rent, the better your choices will be when you buy.

Therefore, the less you buy, the better off you will be.

Some stores require that you buy certain minimum items, which they will not rent. You should definitely buy those items, since you have no choice.

It is best not to buy anything else until after you are certified, at least.

It is even better still if you continue to rent until you have finished the second certification course, which is normally called AOW (advanced open water, although it is not really advanced, it is simply the next class after your first basic open water class).

By then, you will have at least a dozen open water dives to your credit, at varying depths, both day and night, both beach/quarry and boat. And so you will get a better sense of how various equipment works under various underwater conditions.

You would then learn that el cheapo regs are not very good when you go very deep.

You would also find out that el cheapo wetsuits together with el cheapo B/Cs are not very good together either.

Eventually you might find out that a backplate and wing is the very best choice you could make for all occasions. However that may take several dives more than just a dozen. But after a dozen dives, you will start to make decisions on your own, rather than succombing to the temptation and pressure presented by a sales clerk at the dive shop.

The overarching reason for waiting is that you may discover that you do not really like scuba at all. In that case, to avoid a fire sale, the less you own, the better off you would be.

As you have suit, mask and fins covered im gonna say what TSandM basically has said already..
Get the BCD next. Then regulators.

it really depends on what kind of budget you have... it's that simple. :)

Once you get 25 or 50 dives behind you, then that is exactly what it depends one.

Some of the big ticket items then would be:

1) drysuit $2000
2) photography $3000
3) DPV $4000
4) videography $10,000

However, when still pre-certification, it is better not to spead anything beyond that which is absolutely required, and preferably only fins, mask, snorkel, surf booties, and swimsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom