What gives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beezwax

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
cross-list with whine & cheez, pleaz.

I feel like Turkey trying to get accepted into the European Union. Why don't you include Minnesota in this sub-forum? We have plenty of our own wrecks along the north shore of Superior and lots a great diving...but the sticky which introduces the GLWC says: "It includes the states of Illinios, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin." And the sticky detailing GLWC area dive shops also omits MN, etc etc. C'mon you include INDIANA which has about as much actual great lakes shoreline as Pennsylvania!

:pity_part

beezwax:
cross-list with whine & cheez, pleaz.

I feel like Turkey trying to get accepted into the European Union. Why don't you include Minnesota in this sub-forum? We have plenty of our own wrecks along the north shore of Superior and lots a great diving...but the sticky which introduces the GLWC says: "It includes the states of Illinios, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin." And the sticky detailing GLWC area dive shops also omits MN, etc etc. C'mon you include INDIANA which has about as much actual great lakes shoreline as Pennsylvania!

:pity_part

Hey! Be nice to Indiana! I've gotten some nice charters out of there!

Actually, you might be right. I've heard about some nice diving from out of there. I actually like Minnesota myself. My mother's side of the family came from there. I even once owned a farm there!

What do the bigwigs on the board say??

Personally, I have some fond memories of Minnesota: fracturing my ankle while jumping into Camp Ripley one frigid morning and yeah, catching an old Norris Division NHL game between the Blackhawks and North Stars was ALWAYS an interesting roadtrip. I sure hope the diving treats me better should I make it down your way... :wink:

O'Malley:
Personally, I have some fond memories of Minnesota: fracturing my ankle while jumping into Camp Ripley one frigid morning and yeah, catching an old Norris Division NHL game between the Blackhawks and North Stars was ALWAYS an interesting roadtrip. I sure hope the diving treats me better should I make it down your way... :wink:

You mean UP his way! It is WAY north. And much colder. 35° in Lake Michigan outside of Milwaukee last weekend. I wonder what Superior was like! :shocked:

Dean810:
You mean UP his way! It is WAY north. And much colder. 35° in Lake Michigan outside of Milwaukee last weekend. I wonder what Superior was like! :shocked:

Yes we're further up, but spring is definitely here. The inland lakes are all still covered with ice, but too punky now for any more ice diving....which means we're in that meltdown hangtime where the only diving options are the rivers or (for me) a 1-2 hour drive to Superior. So I did a couple shore dives in Superior yesterday just north of Split Rock lighthouse on the wreck of the Madiera. A 436 ft schooner barge (steel hull) that met her end in the November gales of 1905. Air temp was around 50 F, sunny and calm. Water temp was 36 F. Gorgeous day.

If the GLWC won't have us, I guess we'll have to seek asylum with the "Ontario Fresh Water Freaks", eh?

beezwax:
Yes we're further up, but spring is definitely here. The inland lakes are all still covered with ice, but too punky now for any more ice diving....which means we're in that meltdown hangtime where the only diving options are the rivers or (for me) a 1-2 hour drive to Superior. So I did a couple shore dives in Superior yesterday just north of Split Rock lighthouse on the wreck of the Madiera. A 436 ft schooner barge (steel hull) that met her end in the November gales of 1905. Air temp was around 50 F, sunny and calm. Water temp was 36 F. Gorgeous day.

If the GLWC won't have us, I guess we'll have to seek asylum with the "Ontario Fresh Water Freaks", eh?

You probably belong with us. Customs can be brutal you know!

Yeah, I just did a search and Minnesota and the Dakotas get hosed.

Anyhow, beezwax, let me be the first to welcome you to the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew. As long as you dive the "near" or in the Great Lakes, it's fine with me. I was never that good at geography anyhow.

Maybe you should post more about ice diving those mines up there and drum up some interest. We didn't have any ice to speak of out here. I was out of town for a week so I might have missed some.

If you PM an administrator (like NetDoc), I am sure that we could get Minnesota added to the list of states for the wrecking crew. I always figured that Minnesota was included anyways :) .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom