What happened? skin bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i am quite worried i think i may have gotten skind bends, i did a search and reviewed most of the skin bends cases and my symptoms are different. anyway before going on i will give you my dive profiles for the three dives i did yesterday.

Dive1: 125 feet max, 49ft ave, bottom time 51 mins. did necessary stops. we even did our obligatory deco stop for 5 mins becasue our computers registered deco. aside form that we were shallower than 30 ft for the remaining part of the dive and even did our safety stops.

surface interval 2hours 20 mins

dive2: 107 ft. max, 44ft ave, bottom time 31 mins. this dive was very conservative and we decided to abort it early because there was a slight surge shallower than 20ft. soon after this dive i noticed a small blotch on my tummy. it was sore and i was attributing this to sunburn because i usually sun tan during my surface intervals.

surface interval 2 hours 30 mins

dive 3: 132ft max, 53ft ave, bottom time 31 mins. got hit by a strong downdraft and made it to 132ft, ascended slowly til we leveled off at around 100ft. most of the dive was shallower 90 and made sure we were within our ndl times.

about an hour after the last dive, my blotch on the stomach enlarged and it was extremely sore. like the feeling of a raw sunburn. very painful. on the way home i got the chills and had fever. the blotch was in my tummy area only. also noticed shortness of breath.

next day i am fine and the blotches are visibly lighter. still abit sore. i seriously think that it was a sunburn since i have gotten this before. i dint exhibit other signs of dcs like sore/painful limbs etc. curious?

i have noticed that this is the 4th time in months that i have gotten fever after a day of diving. in my previous posts it was either stung by venomous animals, tropical hypothermia, not wearing the right exposure protection, lack of sleep, low immune tolerance etc. first time i had a blotch materialize was yesterday. im starting to wonder if those past dives i exhibited slight sympotoms of dcs? guess not symptom was just fever?

Forgot to mention: i did my 6-8k run in the morning. could this have contributed coupled with my lack of sleep?

Spoon,

Even if you're not a DAN member, call Dan. 919-684-4dan

chills, fever and blotches are all possible symptom of DCS. time to call DAN and talk to a professional.

would insufficient sleep like 3 hours make a person more prone to dcs rather than the same person who was well rested?

Spoon:
would insufficient sleep like 3 hours make a person more prone to dcs rather than the same person who was well rested?

fatigue certainly isn't going to help.

there may not be any reason for it, either, it might have just been the phase of the moon.

if you've got symptoms, get 'em checked out. either the doc tells you its something else and you can stop worrying about it, or else you've got DCS and you need to get it attended to.

1) If you think you have symptoms, GET THEM CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

2) Didn't you just take DIRF? What were you doing diving those kinds of profiles and using computers??

jonnythan:
1) If you think you have symptoms, GET THEM CHECKED OUT IMMEDIATELY.

2) Didn't you just take DIRF? What were you doing diving those kinds of profiles and using computers??

yes i did take the dir-f, dive # 2 was within my profile, as was dive #3. it was suppose to be shallower than my 2nd but unfortunately we got hit by a surprisingly strong downcurrent. as soon as we realized this we decided to abort the dive.

talked to the local dan rep and he mentioned that i did have slight dcs symptoms. he mentioned that their was no real factor but a combo of factors which made me more prone to dcs than usual. factors such as lask of sleep the night before, lowered immune system, repetetive deep dives all contributed to the occurence of slight dcs.

he also said that the symptoms i exhibited were at the least form of dcs. could have been much, much worse had i not aborted the last dive. all the symtptoms are virtually gone. wont be allowed to dive for the next 48 hours. Glad evertyhing turned out well.

Spoon:
yes i did take the dir-f, dive # 2 was within my profile, as was dive #3. it was suppose to be shallower than my 2nd but unfortunately we got hit by a surprisingly strong downcurrent. as soon as we realized this we decided to abort the dive.

Did you do your deep stops? These don't fit in the DIR-F min deco tables... Air right? These sound far from conservative to me... be careful of the denial... It's not just some river in Egypt.

What would you assess you hydration state to be before the dive? Any beers the night before?

Spoon:

Nobody knows exactly what will triggers DCS bro. Last year I was in Aquaventure and witnessed first hand a lady who dived to 60ft following everything in her computer. 1 hour later she was experiencing joint pains and could not move her right arm. She was rushed to the recompression chamber where she spent some hours and half a million pesos on bills. We found out later that she was out partying the night before and didn't have enough sleep, it could have been what triggered it or other things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom