What happened? skin bends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

half a million pesos ($10,000 plus)!!!! Have had my share of deep dives but now I just stick to shallows (60 to 80 ft.). After reading your thread "Beauty at 15 feet", I was convince I don't have to go deep and hurt myself to enjoy this big passion of mine. No painful realization for me, diving deep isn't worth the risk. Just my 2 cents opinion.

Jai, nahiya lang ako lapitan ka last week, dami mong students and busy ka. I'll be at aqua ulit this friday night til sunday morning.

clgsamson:
half a million pesos ($10,000 plus)!!!! Have had my share of deep dives but now I just stick to shallows (60 to 80 ft.). After reading your thread "Beauty at 15 feet", I was convince I don't have to go deep and hurt myself to enjoy this big passion of mine. No painful realization for me, diving deep isn't worth the risk. Just my 2 cents opinion.

Jai, nahiya lang ako lapitan ka last week, dami mong students and busy ka. I'll be at aqua ulit this friday night til sunday morning.
Certainly makes Dan seem cheap.

Ben_ca:
Did you do your deep stops? These don't fit in the DIR-F min deco tables... Air right? These sound far from conservative to me... be careful of the denial... It's not just some river in Egypt.

What would you assess you hydration state to be before the dive? Any beers the night before?

i am always extremely well hydrated before all my dives and i make it a point not to have alcohol the night before? i forgot to mention that i did my morning run before diving. did aroun 6k-8k run. could this be a factor?

Spoon:
i forgot to mention that i did my morning run before diving. did aroun 6k-8k run. could this be a factor?

Could be... You shouldn’t excercise in the 24-hour period before diving; new research has shown that vigorous exercise EXACTLY 24 hours before diving may be beneficial (but rather impractical).

Vie:
Could be... You shouldn’t excercise in the 24-hour period before diving; new research has shown that vigorous exercise EXACTLY 24 hours before diving may be beneficial (but rather impractical).

for my leaning routine i usually run 6k on an empty stomach every morning. it could be that i was not well rested and still did my run. gets me thinking, my local dan rep certainly thinks that it could have contributed.

chip104:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16018350&query_hl=5

Just to show you the most recent primary source on the subject. Yours to interpret.

Thanks, I haven’t seen this one. I’ve read about similar studies done at the University of Split School of Medicine in Croatia and at the University of Science and Technology (Tronheim, Norway).

Here an interesting article from Undercurrent:

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Exercise200403.shtml

Vie:

This is not the interpretation that many have taken with regards to the research done on pre-dive exercise. Not only that, it remains very difficult to find real-world cases of divers getting bent because of pre-dive exercise (dehydration, aside). Other threads have covered this in great detail, including the newest research showing that exercise as close as 30 minutes before a dive might not affect DCS risk, so I won't rehash it here unless you have trouble finding them.

As DAN said, there are many factors that can predispose you to DCS, but your profiles themselves seem to make up an aggressive day of diving. What gasses were you breathing on each dive?

Cameron

First of all ~ please don't take this post as criticism. That's not my intent... just a few observations from someone who used to push the envelope :wink:
Spoon:
talked to the local dan rep and he mentioned that i did have slight dcs symptoms. he mentioned that their was no real factor but a combo of factors which made me more prone to dcs than usual. factors such as lask of sleep the night before, lowered immune system, repetetive deep dives all contributed to the occurence of slight dcs...
Yep, day to day factors can make you more "prone" to DCS. Looking at the brief description of your dives, it sounds like you did a couple of fairly aggressive dives, especially the first one. My opinion is that the first dive is probably where you got "bent" with each subsequent dive adding to the damage done until the symptoms became too persistant to ignore :11:

Although you did long SI's, I've personally found offgassing via a slower ascent and more time spent shallow for time spent deep (sound familiar :wink:)makes me feel a whole lot better (less tired, more energy, no headache, no "niggles") than even doing "NDL" dives within agency established "safety" parameters including deeps stops, safety stops and 30fpm ascent rates and counting on the SI to finish the deco for me.

You didn't mention what back gas or deco gas you were using when you "...even did our obligatory deco stop for 5 mins becasue our computers registered deco." If you're gonna do these dives, there are better gasses than air, especially for more efficient deco :wink:

At any rate, I'm glad you're OK and seem to have a good attitude about learning how to avoid getting hurt in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom