What happens to fish that are swallowed whole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40:
So basically its a combination of stomach acid, stomach muscles, and asphyxiation. Someone needs to slip a tiny camera in with a school of baitfish as humpbacks are feeding.

Where's David Attenborough when you need him! :D

If the fish can speak whale, he/she can just get a ride to Sydney :D

Sorry, couldn't avoid the temptation :D

I'd go with the acids, but seems to me that most bony fishes would have those grinding theet??

G.P.

I just read in "Mysteries of the Sea" that sperm whales have been found with live fish and squid in their stomaches.

drbill:
Think of the poor goldfish that used to be swallowed whole by sub-humans.

Yes but at least they were crackers.

DavidPT40:
I know this is kind of a strange question, but it is marine related. When a whale or large fish swallows a small fish whole (and alive), what actually kills the fish? ....

:hm: That is a very strange question. Ask Jonah.

Better yet, you can ask these guys:

"Like wow man, I think something just swallowed me." Then he flounces a few times and realizes it's time for a really, really long nap. He's getting sooo sleepy and then . . .

Stan

I just love a great bedtime story, don't you? :bfish: :crossbone

Well, I finally found the answer to my question. The fish suffocate to death. When a whale swallows fish whole, the fish go into a non-enzyme secreting stomach. Here, anaerobic bacteria slowly break down the fish into a soup, which passes through a small opening into the other stomachs.

04_02.jpg

Anchovys in a Bryde's whale stomach

07_02.jpg

Salmon in a minke whale's stomach

From the pictures, it looks like the stomach may not move much. The fish appear to be intact.

DavidPT40:
From the pictures, it looks like the stomach may not move much. The fish appear to be intact.
The Japanese eat some small fish alive and whole. They just swallow them.

Having tried a few I can assure you that they don't come out intact at the other end! :D

Back
Top Bottom