What happens when you purchase PADI Ecard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is another option. Instructors can have a temporary card emailed to you when they process your certification (I always did this). Given that certifications never expire, I don’t see why this temporary card won’t work.

I’d be curious if anyone ran into issues with using an electronic temporary card.

if I pay this fee once for my ecard Open Water will it also include my PADI nitrox course? or do you have to pay separately for each ecard?

I find the PADI iOS app to be really bad. The only useful things I can get to half work is the eCard and the shop locator, and the latter only shows PADI affiliated operations.

If the physical card is the same price as the eCard I'd suggest getting the physical card, taking pictures of both sides, then put the card somewhere safe. The app is flaky and dependent on PADI's technology. It's only really a time saver if all the certs you're going to use are through PADI. You'd be paying for something less reliable than a picture of a card while being forced to have the app on your phone. At least you can print out a copy of the card should your phone break/die/get stolen on vaction.

The eCard is a nice idea in principle, but given shops will accept a photocopy of the card and PADI ones can look you up, I don't see it being any better than a physical card unless it were significantly cheaper. And the QR code is an interesting idea but you're almost certain to have to fill out a bunch of paperwork when you go to a new store anyway so I don't see it being a huge time saver.

I only have the one cert/card so I don't know if you'd need to get separate cards for OW and Nitrox. The FAQ does say "Yes, you can order an eCard for each PADI course and specialty you have completed." which implies you'd need separate cards though.

Look yourself up on the Padi website and take a screenshot of that instead.

This is what dive shops do to verify people.

I did it at first being naieve and thinking I was being “hip” or “modern”.

Then when I got new certs beyond open water, I would have to pay extra to have them reflect in the eCard (advanced, rescue, etc)? No way.

I’ll just be diligent on not losing the cards, and have a pic on my phone of them as backup just in case I’m in a pinch.

However if I was a dm and/or not going to get any more certs, I may think about it once again...but that’s a long way off.

When I got certified last year PADI sent me a temp e-card while the physical one was being sent. I took a pic of the QR code from the app just in case.
Keeping as a backup in case I lose the card.

if I pay this fee once for my ecard Open Water will it also include my PADI nitrox course? or do you have to pay separately for each ecard?

Yes, if you want an ecard for each certification you much purchase one ecard for each certification.

As the thread highlights, the value of the product is not there for some customers.

PADI e-card: a good way to milk more money...:eyebrow:

...save those $ for some more needed things (good equipment, dive trips, more courses, etc)

When I was offered free 30 day ecards, I took a screen shot of them on the phone. I store the images on my phone and on Google Drive.

My temp nitrox e-card arrived today here’s what it looks like. The paid version of the e-card would look the same I guess?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom