What happens when you purchase PADI Ecard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish they'd just go electronic and quit charging me $40 for a new card everytime I take a course.

They have gone electronic, and it's still $40 for an electronic card. Some things never change.

Bob

They have gone electronic, and it's still $40 for an electronic card. Some things never change.

Bob

I didn't know. The last course I took about 6 months ago they sent me a plastic card in the mail. I don't even know where it is now. In a drawer somewhere at my desk probably. I suppose some rinky-dink dive operators in third-world countries don't have computers and still need to see a physical cert card to satisfy their liability.

I know some of the dive boats around here use them as "here" or "not here" tokens. You have to surrender your card when you get on the boat and that way they can sort you out when you get on and off the boat. One of the boat crew has the c cards in their hand and as divers go in or come out of the water they flip the card over and put it at the bottom of the deck. If they have a card left over that's facing up they know somebody is still in the water or unaccounted for. Then they give your C-card back to you at the dive shop.

A lot of people complain about having to give up their C-card because a lot of people forget them. There's a stack at the dive shop about 6" tall. Some of them from years and years ago that have gone unclaimed. The guys at the dive shop counter call it "the walk of shame" when you have to come back to the shop and get your C-card or you have to call and ask them to mail it to you. LOL

If this ripoff was a one-time fee for every PADI Cert you ever attain it wouldn't be quite so egregious...also dialling back the app suckage would be a step in the right direction.

I created my own PADI eCard by shooting a pic of my plastic one, thus saving $45 in the process.

No violation of PADI standards, I hope.

On the matter of psychos showing up at the diveshop with fake credentials, I wonder if the shop is liable for any accidents derived from a con act. Assisted suicide perhaps? Strange days we live in.

Last edited:
However if I was a dm and/or not going to get any more certs, I may think about it once again...but that’s a long way off.

I have some good news for you. Once you get DM you automatically get all your e-cards "free" as long as you keep your membership paid up.

Folks have mentioned workarounds that might work, but for me the e-card has permanence that a physical card doesn't. My 1985 YMCA OW card has lasted longer than YMCA as a certifying agency has. My 2001 NAUI AOW card is a little worse for wear, but still vaguely passable. My 2002 PADI Rescue card disintegrated a couple years ago. Since I had to pay to replace it anyway, I figured I'd go with something that doesn't (I hope) wear out over time.

SSI charges $6 for a physical card and e-cards are free. I have a copy of my PADI OW card that I scanned. Only one side of that card has my info on it; the other side is just some PADI artwork.

SSI charges $6 for a physical card and e-cards are free. I have a copy of my PADI OW card that I scanned. Only one side of that card has my info on it; the other side is just some PADI artwork.

Try looking this card up in the data base--no member number--nothing--pic on the back, and bio stuff--that's it! And yes I've updated to the new card, I kept getting asked what the heck is this?
IMAG1054.jpg

Back
Top Bottom