What Happens when you Take your BCD off at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is completely and utterly wrong. As decribed by others. Once many or most divers get past a certain depth theyy will be negatively buoyant with a lungful of air while wearing no weight.

Nobody else described it, in fact they confirmed it by saying they wear a separate weight belt for this reason!!!

Nobody else described it, in fact they confirmed it by saying they wear a separate weight belt for this reason!!!

I'm going to repost where 2 people decribed it and I'm going to type it very sloooowly for you.

One of my current students wore a 3mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over it for openwater dives No weight, still negatively buoyant. Everyone loved working with him in rescue class.

-Chris

By the way, I am negatively buoyant at depth, although I don't breath compressed air, I only breath air at ambient pressure.

I'm going to repost where 2 people decribed it and I'm going to type it very sloooowly for you.

You are so confused man, I give up.

You are trying to compare swimming on the surface with a BCD on with no BCD and no weight after taking a breath at depth. You cannot extrapolate anything from that. Everyone knows you rocket to the top without your BCD, thats why they wear a separate weight belt, obviously.

I already explained all this Dan. The reason he becomes negatively buoyant is because his lungs collapse to the size of a plum. When breathing on your regulator at depth, that doesn't happen. Right? :D

You said no one would be negatively buoyant, even freediver without weight. Well, I just gave you one example that you can see for yourself in that video. William Trubridge just glide down with his own body weight.

You said no one would be negatively buoyant, even freediver without weight. Well, I just gave you one example that you can see yourself in that video. William Trubridge just glide down with his own body weight.

No thats not how it works Dan. He kicks down past his neutrally buoyant depth, then he becomes more and more negatively buoyant as he descends. BUT not until he reaches his neutrally buoyant depth.

When free diving the first thing you do is run your line, and then set your neutrally buoyant depth. This is so the safety diver can swim down to you at that depth when you ascend to make sure you're not having a shallow water blackout. These are unfortunately kind of common.

So he exerted energy to make it past his neutrally buoyant point, THEN he became negatively buoyant. If you are breathing on a regulator and your lungs don't collapse, then you will ALWAYS be positively buoyant, without a BCD, tank and weights.

Which is also another advantage to ditching your BCD in an emergency situation when solo diving, because you may blackout on the ascent with your BCD on and it could drown you. Kind of what happened to Rob Stewart. His rebreather drowned him.

No thats not how it works Dan. He kicks down past his neutrally buoyant depth, then he becomes more and more negatively buoyant as he descends. BUT not until he reaches his neutrally buoyant depth.

When free diving the first thing you do is run your line, and then set your neutrally buoyant depth. This is so the safety diver can swim down to you at that depth when you ascend to make sure you're not having a shallow water blackout. These are unfortunately kind of common.

So he exerted energy to make it past his neutrally buoyant point, THEN he became negatively buoyant. If you are breathing on a regulator and your lungs don't collapse, then you will ALWAYS be positively buoyant, without a BCD, tank and weights.

Which is also another advantage to ditching your BCD in an emergency situation when solo diving, because you may blackout on the ascent with your BCD on and it could drown you. Kind of what happened to Rob Stewart. His rebreather drowned him.

OK. Now you explain it better this time. I agree on this explanation.

Especially if you have a wing! You would be passed out face down.

Person 1: Lets talk about A.
Others: Not an issue, depending, minor mention of b.

Person 1: What about B. That is key.
Others: Well not really, it's straight forward.

Person 1: No, really B is key. But C is more important.
Others: C? really.... (are there D, E, F, and G...?)

Reactions: yle
The few times I had to remove it during training we just sling it around and lay the bcd on our knee. This worked fine on the bottom. The one time I had to do it at depth with no bottom I slung it around and wore it on the front. But none of the times did I suddenly become inverted. Granted I was not in any suit. Just a rash guard, and I’m only 180lbs and 6’0 so I’m on the slimmer side as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom