What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then go to your "Safe Second Octopus", or your Buddy's. . .

(And I mean a Diver should be taught "The Right Way" on such contingencies straight out of Basic Open Water. . .)

Marek K:
But... but... Mr. Kev... what if I don't dive a long hose or bungied back-up? :D

(You mean, of course, that a diver shouldn't be diving that sort of conditions unless tech-trained and -equipped... right?)

Since he's talking about (in that part of answer) what he'd do in doubles, you SHOULD have a long hose and bungied backup in that case. Can't imagine anyone is diving doubles with a standard reg and an AIR2

Web Monkey:
I don't mean "keep you safe" like he has a magic transporter and can protect you from all danger, I mean someone who has a second brain to make sure you're not doing anything exceptionally dangerous or dumb, and will generally watch out for you.

It's always nice to have a backup.

Terry

And I was pretty sure that's what you meant. It wasn't so much the "keep you safe" part I was objecting to. It was the "responsible" part.

Putting your buddy in the context of "back-up brain" is the right idea. The primary brain (yours) is responsible for keeping you safe. The alternate brain (buddy's) is only deployed in case you experience a primary brain failure or, the not uncommon OOB - "out of brains" situation.

Kevrumbo:
On doubles with isolation manifold shut down that post, go to your bungied back-up Reg; on a single with an H-Valve/Y-Valve shut down that post, go to your bungied back-up Reg; on a single tank with standard yoke or DIN valve, shut down the post and hope your Dive Buddy is right there to donate his Long Hose Primary. If no Buddy in sight, then feather/modulate the valve to get a few breaths as you CESA to the surface. . .

"D - None of the above"

On a single tank with standard valve: shut down valve and switch to the 40cf bottle you're slinging under your left arm and safely end the dive, while making deep stop for one minute and completing a three minute safety stop.

Better yet DD, you and Mike air share permanently using that technique:shakehead . . .(you so FOS!)

Another scenario: You're at 100 feet, cold water, low viz, diving a single 130, and your primary reg freeflows and you can't get it to stop.

Where I dive it's basically most of the time low vis, cold, so our equipment arrangements are set up for that. The diveleader (the person leading a buddy pair) has to have a doublve valve setup on his single tank or double tanks with 2 separate 1st/2nd stages. This is mandatory... for the other divers it is strongly encouraged to have the same setup (most have realy).

So with this setup in mind:

1) Main reg starts freeflowing (doesn't matter if it's the 1st or 2nd stage... I don't think you'll be able to determine that in the few minutes before the tank is empty).
2) I switch to backup reg (which is a separate 1st-2nd stage on a separate valve).
3) I try to close my main valve asap. If I can't reach it soon enough my buddy (since we dive buddy lines most of the times will be right near me) will follow the hose from my freeflowing 2nd stage to the first stage and valve and close the valve (in limited vis with alot of bubbles flowing the easiest way to avoid mistakingly closing the wrong valve (of the backupreg).
4) Check manometer to see how much pressure was lost. Start ascend to surface on own backupreg if enough pressure left otherwise use backupreg buddy.
5) After a couple of min at a shallower depth you can try to reopen the valve of the freeflowing reg. There is a good chance that it will have thawed by then.

Looking over my response I realise that I need to urgently practise the closing of valves under water on a single tank again. This realy is a very important skill to maintain.

Cheers

I have a good scenario you are doing a solo dive in moderate visability, slight surge and at a depth of about 40 feet. You then become entangled in a monofiliment fishing net that was not clearly marked on the surface (poachers). This net is tangled in the valves of your doubles rig....what do you do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom