What-If Scenario's, What would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

about the first scenario i would recower my first stage and get oriented if i would not be carying a backup mask i would try to signal my buddy by tapping my knife on my tank then i would slowly resurface and wait for my buddy

loved the trick about making the framless mask with my hands wonder if it works wearing thick gloves need to try this out soon

OK I have one, Your 70ft under the lake. Its about 52 degrees and vis is about 5-10ft. Your regulator starts taking in water so you switch to your backup, it is also taking on water. Now your buddy is 8 ft away from you with his back turned taking pictures of a fish. You now have a mouth full of water and your lungs have no air. Do you try to swim for your buddy to get his attention or do you ascend?

hugedodge2000:
OK I have one, Your 70ft under the lake. Its about 52 degrees and vis is about 5-10ft. Your regulator starts taking in water so you switch to your backup, it is also taking on water. Now your buddy is 8 ft away from you with his back turned taking pictures of a fish. You now have a mouth full of water and your lungs have no air. Do you try to swim for your buddy to get his attention or do you ascend?
An 8 ft swim is a bit easier than a 70 ft CESA, if not just quit.

hugedodge2000:
That's a no-brainer ... swim to your buddy.

If you're at 70 feet with 5-10 foot vis, I assume you have a light? If so, use it to get his attention. Hopefully he'll notice and turn around before you rip the reg out of his mouth.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hugedodge2000:

That's a good question. One possibility to consider is that if you do decide to CESA, the air in your BC will expand- you may be able to sip off of that through your manual inflator. Anyone know how feasible this is?

From 8 ft though, I'd think you're probably better going for your buddy.

biz_nate:
That's a good question. One possibility to consider is that if you do decide to CESA, the air in your BC will expand- you may be able to sip off of that through your manual inflator. Anyone know how feasible this is?

From 8 ft though, I'd think you're probably better going for your buddy.

I agree, as long as the buddy isn't swimming along, but it stopped while taking pictures. Trying to 'catch up' to a swimming buddy might be too much.

NewFloridaDiver:
I think this is a great idea Ben, what you and Dad used to do... It would be a great way to learn to react instinctively and calmly to situations, if done safely. As for the backup mask, that is what prompted my scenario in the 1st place. Now I'm definately going to buy a new one and keep my old as a backup. Where to put it though? a seperate hip pocket? It's a bulky thing to carry.

I think it's a good, fun way to practice skills. You just need to be very aware of your environment and the context of the dive when you're doing it. For example, it's probably not very appropriate to play like this in heavy surge, or if there's a possibility one of you will damage any of the marine life. And of course, you don't want to miss out on the dive itself!

I too am debating where I'd keep the extra mask. Perhaps some of the more experienced people might have an opinion on effective, streamlined placement?

Ok. I got one. You just completed a dive and your back on your boat. You suddenly realize your buddy made his wet suit muddy. On the inside. WHAT DO YOU DO?????? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

biz_nate:
I think it's a good, fun way to practice skills. You just need to be very aware of your environment and the context of the dive when you're doing it. For example, it's probably not very appropriate to play like this in heavy surge, or if there's a possibility one of you will damage any of the marine life. And of course, you don't want to miss out on the dive itself!
Very true, If I were to do this, it would probably be for just this purpose, practice. With that in mind, the whole dive would be centered around skills and done in a safe place.

biz_nate:
I too am debating where I'd keep the extra mask. Perhaps some of the more experienced people might have an opinion on effective, streamlined placement?
I'm thinking now about incorporating the spare mask with my slung pony (when I get one), just put it around the tank and secure it with the surgical tubing that keeps the reg hose secured. Would that work? BTW, there is another thread that was spawned from this one on the subject of backup masks here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=192983

I myself would do a free flow acsent just press on the purge and sip the air all the way to the surface. Hopefully my buddy would turn around soon and see all the bubbles coming from me and head up to assist.(I said it was leaking water not that you didnt have any air)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom