"What if ..?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's too depressing to dwell on this kind of thing. I just pray that it'll never happen...and if it does, I'll deal with it then somehow.

It's too depressing to dwell on this kind of thing. I just pray that it'll never happen...and if it does, I'll deal with it then somehow.

if you plan the dive correctly and dive the plan it will never happen.

What if you dive with a crazy maniac that decides to cut your hose, or throat, and take your gear? Then what do you do?...

I was told in my cave diving classes that there is a "modern" way to share air, and an "old fashioned" way to share air.

Now, we put the OOA diver in front.

Back in the day, they put the OOA diver in the back.

Why? So if you looked at your SPG and saw you wouldn't have enough gas to survive, you could give a sharp jerk on the hose, pulling the second stage free from your buddy's mouth, and continue on out of the cave without him using your gas supply.

How true that story is, I don't know, but it does give one pause.

I think the "close the isolator" idea isn't bad. And, if you are at thirds of your original starting pressure, and you isolate, it does seem to me that each diver does get 1/6th of original gas, as another poster stated. However, the idea isn't that you have a failure when you reach 1/3rd of your original gas volume. When you reach 1/3rd of your starting volume, you should be breathing from that great stage bottle known as Earth's atmosphere.

The answer is pretty simple.

All you have to do is ascend together and exhale your breath into your buddy’s mouth. This will allow you to effectively double the workable volume of gas you have.

For long dives I use this practice as a part of my gas plan for two reasons:

1. It's cheaper than stage bottles.

2. My dive buddy is super hot

In essence then you would be conducting a SCR dive in which the mix could become Hypoxic, you probably would be better off breathing from your wing...even then you are still mimicking a rebreather...

In essence then you would be conducting a SCR dive in which the mix could become Hypoxic, you probably would be better off breathing from your wing...even then you are still mimicking a rebreather...

The point is to double the gas you have. A single exchange would not allow the mix to become Hypoxic.

It's really just recycling air. Everybody likes to recycle right?

What if you dive with a crazy maniac that decides to cut your hose, or throat, and take your gear? Then what do you do?...

Decide that you're glad that at least you'll drown rather than get incinerated by the meteor that's about to strike.

Mabey not with nitrox, but what if someone is breathing a Hypoxic Trimix?

Mabey not with nitrox, but what if someone is breathing a Hypoxic Trimix?

What difference does the gas make? You're drawing it under pressure.

The efficiency with which the human lungs process oxygen is possibly sufficiently low that my exhale will sustain your life... I'd like to see someone pull that off, though.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom