What is a good editing software for an amateur?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No layers in LR, but for me at least editing pics (as opposed to creating other types of documents that have pics in them) doesn't require layers. In the Photoshop class I took we used layers a lot, but for just editing pictures, there isn't (for me) a need to use them. If I am making a composite of several pictures or extracting a picture to add it to a different background then layers are quite useful but for straight photographs not so much. For the 1% of things I need to do that LR doesn't do well, I use CS4 but I find I use it less and less.

Is there something you do to a simple photograph that involves layers but leaves it as a simple photograph? I haven't found it, but that doesn't mean it isn't something I should be using.

Bill
If your editing is limited to color and tone adjustments then LR is all you need. However, when speaking of "editing" im talking more about artistic and more visual changes than colorations. It could be adding in elements, removing elements, giving one element colors and the rest b/w, distortion filters and other "fancy things" - stuff that for MOST of my pictures I dont want to bother with. Color corrections and those kinds of things to me is more "developing" than "editing". To me its about making the picture look more like how they are then how the camera see them.

Is there something you do to a simple photograph that involves layers but leaves it as a simple photograph? I haven't found it, but that doesn't mean it isn't something I should be using.
Bill
I lived many years without really using layers, so I agree they are not necessary. 95%+ of my current pix don't use layers either. And most of those don't use anything but RAW processing (when needed) and cropping.
I do find layers useful for separating the background from the main subject and treating them both differently when it is needed. This may include some filters for sharpness, brightness, color, etc. A lot of this can just be done with selections, but layers, simplifies that.
Lately, I have been playing with more surreal manipulation and for that layers is usually needed.
An example. top shot uses mild PS.. bottom shot uses an action using several layers.
Creatures while Diving Turks & Caicos

If you have an Apple, Aperture 2 rocks. I think they make a Windows version also. Aperture in combination with Photo Shop Elements is about all the hobbyist needs. CS4 is great but more geared towards commercial applications and expensive. Just my 2 cents

Unless you want to hack your PC, Aperture won't be running on it any time soon AFAIK.
Bill

If your editing is limited to color and tone adjustments then LR is all you need. However, when speaking of "editing" im talking more about artistic and more visual changes than colorations. It could be adding in elements, removing elements, giving one element colors and the rest b/w, distortion filters and other "fancy things" - stuff that for MOST of my pictures I dont want to bother with. Color corrections and those kinds of things to me is more "developing" than "editing". To me its about making the picture look more like how they are then how the camera see them.
In that case Photoshop is the way to go, but I am way too lazy for that type of thing. Making the picture look the way that I think it looked UW is what i use LR for. Making art is something that I just don't think about very much.

Bill

I have Photoshop CS3 on my Macbook that is now a "pro" but I would not have even been able to pay typical eBay price for it; got it as part of a craigslist "pro" hardware/applecare upgrade package.

I bought a sealed Photoshop Elements 4 for my last gen Powerbook; $20 shipped off eBay. Both Mac machines I use Adobe DNG Converter, a FREE download, to convert/upload the RAW images from the camera.

I have Elements 4 on an old Pentium 4, 2.4C PC, and use just Elements for everything (Bridge to convert the RAW images).

Try guess which machines I prefer to do my photo processing on? I only use the full Photoshop/Macbook when I am mobile and "looking" professional; at home I always use the Elements machines.

If you are already computer savvy, with some organization skills, I think anything over $100 dollars is a waste. Every day I shoot photo's, they upload to a new folder in the Photo's folder. I have to create and name that new folder before converting/uploading with DNG, or as I'm converting on the PC.

Lightroom and Aperture do most of the editing corrections a basic underwater photographer uses, creates/names a folder for you I think, and there are some other categorizing /grouping advantages.

For some $200-$250 to help them with organization is worth it, some would go for the full CS4 Design Premium at over $1,000 and Lightroom, while some do what they want/need for; $100, $50, less, free.

30 day trials are available for all the current versions of good software mentioned in this thread.

In that case Photoshop is the way to go, but I am way too lazy for that type of thing. Making the picture look the way that I think it looked UW is what i use LR for. Making art is something that I just don't think about very much.

Bill
My "making art" has been very limited lately and its not been done to 99% of my uw pictures. Mostly I use PS for website stuff these days and Im not all that great at it. I preferr working with code over graphics :p

I use Photoshop Elements and I am absolutely happy with it.

I just downloaded Gimp, screwed around a bit and don't have a clue as to how it works. Looks like it has more stuff than I need. I'll go back to Picasa.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom