What is a logged dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A slight twist on the original question...

If you go out on the lake and you go down for 20 minutes navigating to an underwater site, then surface to get bearings on the next site, then navigate again 20 minutes, then surface to go to the next - would you count it as one dive or three?

No

Personally, I have to leave the water and re-enter for a second dive.

Dive has to have a certain ammount of duration and depth but those are flexible.

I did not log the drop to 60 ft and unhook from the wreck.

That seems odd to me. They have no guidelines for logging at all?

Just playing devil's advocate here... Someone could go straight from OW to AOW, log another ~90 10 ft dives in a pool and PADI would be ok with allowing them to do the solo specialty?

I have loged pool dives in the past . Not however for a dive count so much as documenting what i was doing. Beginning of year buoyancy checks in new wet suit ect. At one time I heard that padi wanted dives to be 20 min or longer. I guess that is so you cant dunk your head 60 tmes and get the DM card. (sarcastically speaking) If i have to go down clear ears fool with the wing ect it is a dive in my books. However if I go to a Disneyland lake with busses and planes on the botton a dive is every transition from land to water.

It's your log, so essentially your choice. A quick orientation pop up to the surface does not count as enough of a surface interval to log 2 separate dives IMO though. It certainly wont on your computer, which is what most divers log from.

For training courses each agency (if you care about that kind of thing) has their own standards for what constitutes 'a dive', for example with PADI its reaching depth of 6m or deeper for 20 minutes or longer OR use of 100Bar (I think!). With SSI the minimum time is 15minutes and depth dependant on individual programme standards.

I do not count pool dives - but I might make notes about a pool dive if I learned something new about configuration and weighting.

I log any dive in fresh or salt water.

If the dives have some up and downs to the surface - I will log that as a single dive, even if the computer splits it into two.
Luckily the subsurface log software allows me to merge the dives.

If I have a surface interval - then that is a new dive to me.

I've not independently verified, however PADI's guidelines may be the following: (originally posted by Hawkwood in thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-...ies/392225-padi-what-defines-logged-dive.html)

PADI's requirements for OW training dives:

Divers must spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

PADI's definition of "logged dives" used as course prerequisites for PADI courses:

"To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e. date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training dives for PADI courses (in open water or a controlled environment) qualify as logged dives."

I believe you have a unique background. I don't believe any agency ever said only ocean dives count. PADI began its life as the Chicago branch of NAUI, and they formed PADI when NAUI decided to make its focus the west coast and they felt slighted. I am pretty sure they thought those lake Michigan dives should be logged.

I have never until now heard of PADI every talking about logging pool dives.

PADI's standards for dives are for training dives only. They have no standards for what you do on your own dives in terms of logging or pretty much anything else. That is for you to determine. Your log is for you, and it serves your purposes.

Personally, I have never even considered logging a pool dive, but I log any dive I do in the open water, whether it is in the 23 feet, no visibility depth of Chatfield Reservoir or at 300 feet on an ocean wreck.

John,

i mispoke. For us it was pool and ocean. But I assume I should have differentiated them better. Confined and open water would have been better.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2014 at 11:41 PM ----------

I've not independently verified, however PADI's guidelines may be the following: (originally posted by Hawkwood in thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-...ies/392225-padi-what-defines-logged-dive.html)

PADI's requirements for OW training dives:

Divers must spend the majority of time at 5 metres/15 feet or greater, and breathe at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas or remain submerged for at least 20 minutes.

PADI's definition of "logged dives" used as course prerequisites for PADI courses:

"To credit as a logged dive for course requirements, the dive takes place in open water and specific information about the dive (i.e. date, time, location, depth, profile, etc.) is recorded. Training dives for PADI courses (in open water or a controlled environment) qualify as logged dives."

So based on the second definition the pool (controlled water) dives count?

I log everything except teaching/training in a pool. I've worked on drains in pools occasionally (very lucrative) and I logged those dives. After training, every time you kit up, its a dive. You planned it, researched it, prepped your gear, did something interesting, and got out alive. Log it.

Multi dives - I let the computer decide. Normally if you are on the surface for less than ten minutes, it stores as one dive.

That seems odd to me. They have no guidelines for logging at all?

Just playing devil's advocate here... Someone could go straight from OW to AOW, log another ~90 10 ft dives in a pool and PADI would be ok with allowing them to do the solo specialty?

Nobody cares about how many dives anyone else has made. It doesn't matter until you start down the instructor or technical path, and even then they are going to be looking at HOW you dive, not numbers. If you go sit on the bottom of a pool 90 times, it's going to be evident to that you don't have much real experience.

You are the only person who cares about your log book.

A slight twist on the original question...

If you go out on the lake and you go down for 20 minutes navigating to an underwater site, then surface to get bearings on the next site, then navigate again 20 minutes, then surface to go to the next - would you count it as one dive or three?
"
I've dived with at least one person who would have logged that as multiple dives. Behind his back his fellow divers laugh at his "high" number of logged dives, because every one of us can recall times this person spent less time in the water than the rest of us, yet miraculously logged more dives. :shakehead:

Oh, well, it is only himself that he is kidding. :gas:

I have worked with instructors told me that they log every single time they are in the water, even in a pool doing training (not logging multiple dives for each session of course), partially because that gives them a record to go back to later if there are any questions about that particular under water experience.

My shortest logged dive is 6 minutes, and 10', and it was logged to forever remind me of mistakes made by myself on that dive. As mention, this is your own personal log book, and how you use it, and what you record is up to you. There may be agency "standards", but as of yet we do not have scuba police telling us what we may or may not do, or even what we have to do, if we are not actively training with or teaching for that agency at the time.

My own opinion, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom