What is a logged dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From another thread:

From the PADI Instructor manual General Standards and Procedures, Open Water training
4. For training purposes, an open water dive is a dive during which a student
diver spends the majority of time at a depth of at least 5 metres/15 feet and:
a. breathes at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas.

The whole concept of logging dives comes to us from the Navy, who logs everything, to keep track of hyperbaric exposure and detail events and work while diving. The results were / are used to help analyse accidents, adjust the dive tables, and write procedures for working underwater. Since it is done for hyperbaric exposure, ALL dives are logged.

When logging came to recreational diving, the importance is for tracking multiple dives for use with the tables for the next dive. There is no actual requirement for logging, as there is in the Navy, so it is up to the diver whether they keep log. During dive classes logging may be required.

You can use your log similarly to track weight requirements for different configurations, note gear changes you might want to try, any incident or detail you might want want to know years from now. It is your log, so use it to your advantage, with a buddy or not.

Log them, let whoever wants to count them worry about whether it meets their standard. Most training does not have dive count prerequisites. I've never had anyone ask me for a log, but it may be that I'm an old, and at times grumpy, diver so YMMV.

Bob

From another thread:

From the PADI Instructor manual General Standards and Procedures, Open Water training
4. For training purposes, an open water dive is a dive during which a student
diver spends the majority of time at a depth of at least 5 metres/15 feet and:
a. breathes at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas.
And in that OW training context, PADI is not defining a logged dive, they are setting a minimum training standard so someone doesn't do all the skills on 4 dives to 10 feet for 10 minutes each and earn an OW certification. Otherwise, it would definitely happen somewhere.

And in that OW training context, PADI is not defining a logged dive, they are setting a minimum training standard so someone doesn't do all the skills on 4 dives to 10 feet for 10 minutes each and earn an OW certification. Otherwise, it would definitely happen somewhere.

I get that, I was simply pointing it out that if someone NEEDS to have a guideline to go by to determine what they should and shouldn't log and a dive, it's a decent benchmark. Personally, I feel that if you even have a question whether you have performed a log-able dive, it probably shouldn't be logged. For personal reference, yes, but not in the log you use to advance in training.

Boy did I have it wrong. I thought this was a logged dive:
IMG_0026a.jpg

What’s wrong with logging shirt shallow dives even in a Pool?
If you were to describe what you were doing, how would you? You were diving. If you were diving, then it was a dive. If it was a dive what’s wrong with logging it. Fish farm divers whom I’ve had experience with consider their 10m 3m dives clearing out fish pens as dives so why don’t you? If it wasn’t a dive, what’s the diver getting paid for?

A dive is a dive.

I write pool training sessions in my log book, but I don't add them to my running dive count, if that makes sense. I did a SCUBA review after a period of inactivity, and I took SSI Perfect Buoyancy. I wrote both classes log book, but I I'm not going to try to count those dives towards Advanced or Master SCUBA diver. If I did regular pool dives that had no formal training portion to the dive, I don't think I would log them.

I am not sure why a dive count really matters after the first hundred dives or so, but it sure does to some folks. Ego for some, professional records for others, I suppose.

We once did a SB trip where, to the rest of the group one of the divers seemed to be counting dives in the shower before breakfast! We were all joking because he appeared to be bragging of logging 3 dives, before he even got wet each morning! I know he is still on SB, and I am certain that by now this diver is claiming several thousand dives, but the only one he is kidding was himself.

I was told by one instructor when I was doing a refresher, that anytime you breath compressed gas under water, it should be logged. I tend to follow that, and jot down notes in my log even if it is just helping a friend as a spotter when he is teaching, but 1 session gets one notation, not a logged dive each time my face gets wet, as that one diver I mentioned above seemed to be doing.
The shortest actual dive in my log is 6 minutes to 10 feet,and I certainly logged THAT dive, so it had a record to remember, and to learn from!
It was a solo, night dive, where it felt like I had stepped off of the train platform into front of the express subway, on a Coz shore dive. I literally crawled my way back along the bottom to even be able to return to my entry point in an amazing current that had not been there when I check out the site just an or so hour earlier!

Log what you want to remember, log whatever you have changed and anything that those changes have effected, log anything you may wish to be able to look up years later.
What and how, or even if you log is totally up to each diver, imo.

Last December I took a newbie on a dive. She was a trooper about it, but there was another diver that she met online that scrubbed the dive immediately. I doubt his hair even got wet, since we were in standing depth water when he packed it in. I didn’t blame him, water was f***ing cold for a 7mm wetsuit. After the newbie went ashore, I puttered around a bit on my own.

When I came out I found out the dude hung around until my friend was out so she could sign his dive log. The guy had geared up but hadn’t even been swimming and wanted to log it. He wanted to do some sort of reef program and needed 25 logged. Never saw him again. Personally, I would have declined the request on that particular dive.

Maybe the way look at it is like the price of an expensive cars, if you have to ask how many dives, you haven’t done enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom