What is MOF and NMOF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my MOF regularly. I carry a camera and sometimes just find it more convenient. I've had obviously newer divers tell me I'm not suppossed to MOF while I was walking into two inch surf. Who cares? If I was making a surf entry into 4 foot seas I see the relevance, otherwise MYOB and I'll mind mine. :idk:

Why do people constantly key on the distressed diver myth? thats not the only reason MOF is a bad idea. how about the lost mast possibility? Thats a real reason not to do it. but hey do what you want. I'll find your lost gear on the bottom and ad to my collection.

Now lets pause for Stu to post a thousand cartoons...

for one thing, when my wife took a PADI course in 2004 her instructor actually taught her that MOF = diver in distress.

Now, if it's being taught, is it a myth?

I think that notion is a pile of hot steamy bull squeeze, but I was sitting there when he laid that out. First I'd ever heard of it.

for one thing, when my wife took a PADI course in 2004 her instructor actually taught her that MOF = diver in distress.

Now, if it's being taught, is it a myth?

I think that notion is a pile of hot steamy bull squeeze, but I was sitting there when he laid that out. First I'd ever heard of it.

Yeah its bad information being passed on from one instructor to another. I've abandoned teaching that MOF means diver in distress because there are divers who will place their mask there out of habit. If your in distress you will reject your gear. you'll spit out your reg. you may toss your mask off your face, but you won't calmly place it on your forehead and walk out.
So in my classes I mention that a wave could knock a mask off your forehead, relate my own personal experience having to search for a lost mask (and luckily found it) and mention that it could be mis interpreted as a distress sign. Then tell the offending student he owes me a 6 pack. :D

I'm not a diver, yet, so you can take my two cents with a grain of salt, but.. I've seen lots of regulations that may make no sense, certain hand movements are signs that mean certain important things, and a lot of pointless 'taboo' things related to safety in my short time I spent in the Air Force (although a lot is just due to tradition). And they don't always make sense, but they have their purpose.. Some of them are pretty stupid, I admit, but that's no excuse not to take certain things seriously, like safety.

That said, I've never seen any sort of 'serious distress' signal that coincides with exactly what many people just do naturally (while not in distress). That concept makes absolutely no sense to me, especially considering there are a large number of much more obvious signs of a diver in distress.

It sounds to me like one of the many things in our society where people love to find something they can get offended about. So many people just enjoy having that power over someone.. "You broke my arbitrary rule and now this and that!"

But I won't be putting my mask on my head, anyway. I get too paranoid about stuff like that falling into the abyss.

You will be sorry you asked. I am sorry you asked.

Capt. I just looked at your avatar - are you in distress?

When the rescue diver swims out to me I ask him if he's seen my buddy? That keeps em busy for a while as I was soloing in the first place.
Not very respectful of my fellow divers but... waddayagonnado?

I actually find MAN more annoying. With all these convoluted reasons for not having MOF such as falling off ladder, getting hit by wave, losing mask, etc…one would think that just as many MAN "possibilities" would come up.

What if you fell off the ladder and then got the mask caught ON the ladder, you would suffocate and die while your buddies laughed at your stupidity.

BTW….MAN = Mask Around Neck.

What brilliant safety tech came up with the idea that it was "safer" to have a mask with a rubber strap around your neck than on your forehead???

Just remember, if you have a problem and become distressed, put your MOF so people will know to help you.

;P

And we're off!

I'll check back later after aboot another 50,000 posts or so :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to site support. It might be headed to the Surface Interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom