What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru:
Oh come now, I really really like my slap strap. :D

Yeah, it's the shop where I got certified. But it was inexpensive, I needed it at the time, and it always makes me smile when I see it--I remember the fun I had with the shop people, charming them with my evil ways and drinking beer after diving :blinking:

I got nothing against neo mask straps. Have a bunch.

But if you've been diving for a year or more and are still sporting that faded dive shop Slap Strap from your OW, go out and look at your car.

Around back.

See that? That faded thing around your license plate?

Its a DEALER LISENCE PLATE FRAME.

If your car has been in your driveway for more than 5 minutes, and that thing is still on there, you're probably still in that slap strap from your OW class.

Kenny Life Lesson #27: Dorks don't take off the Dealer Plate Frame

Listen Chick Magnet, the first thing you do when you get a car home is bust out a screwdriver and take off that dealer license plate frame.

You take that thing off before you hang Marilyn or the pine tree from the rear-view, before you program in your fav radio stations (if the frame is on there, you probably have NPR in position #1) and before you put that dive flag on the back window.

Next time you're on the road - find a dealer license plate frame on the back of a car, and pull up next to it. Look at the driver. Oh yeah... you KNOW this goober is still in their OW Slap Strap, has NPR #1, and likely has an orange shovel in the glove box.

---
Ken

JGBrown:
This thread seems to have gotten way off track, my intention was to find out what gear I don't need, therby saving money for gear that I do. I was hoping for some clear answers as to the frivilous stuff so that I can avoid getting it in my gear bag in the first place, and that way have more of my budget left for things that are useful and needed.
You need to visit SB more oftern to find out exactly how the folks around here think. Any chance to hijack a thread is gleefully taken.

Don't buy stuff you don't think you will use. Take a look at the folks at the local diving sites you frequent, then go to your LDS. You will probably notice a bunch of stuff on the LDS wall or shelves that you don't see being used by many divers. Hint: avoid this stuff. I didn't and now have a pile of useless stuff. My wife and kids went to the LDS to ask what would be a good present and contributed to this pile.

I do like those web tank carriers (bought for me by my wife and kids):wink:

What is scuba diving's orange shovel?
Got tired of reading after pg. 12 so I apologize if someone's already posted this:

Mares H.U.B...

Oh, and I don't advertise for anyone unless they pay me.
Exception being the logos on my BC, fins and regs that I can't remove.

namabiru:
Do they make Scuba Diver Barbie?

Yeh, I just saw one on ebay, listed under scuba. If you hurry, you might be able to bid on it.

Actually, I just did an ebay search, there are about 20 scuba barbie items..... So you got plenty of time...

Mo2vation:
Dude

Get the pink hose wraps and you're just a loser.

Get the pink hose wraps WITH the matching pink hose protecters and you're Mack Daddy rollin' VIP

Get the pink hose wraps WITH the matching pink hose protecters WITH the matching AL80 pink plastic tank protector, and you're divin' pimp mofo number one.

Toss in the pink tank boot and you will be one Pepto divin', night drivin', tummy thrivin' color strivin' local.

And we'll all laugh at you and you'll... well, you know the rest.

---
Ken
Some serious shovelin' goin' down here ... thanks for the ideas ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, I have a coupla pink tank boots ... I use 'em for regulator racks ...

In SoCal, it is definitely the giant Sea Hunt knife strapped to the leg. The dive shops out here must be pushing them like crazy. Second place is the snorkel.

fisherdvm:
Actually, I just did an ebay search, there are about 20 scuba barbie items..... So you got plenty of time...

OMG, Barbie dives doubles! You go girl!!!

Mo2vation:
I got nothing against neo mask straps. Have a bunch.

But if you've been diving for a year or more and are still sporting that faded dive shop Slap Strap from your OW, go out and look at your car.

Around back.

See that? That faded thing around your license plate?

Its a DEALER LISENCE PLATE FRAME.

If your car has been in your driveway for more than 5 minutes, and that thing is still on there, you're probably still in that slap strap from your OW class.

Kenny Life Lesson #27: Dorks don't take off the Dealer Plate Frame

Listen Chick Magnet, the first thing you do when you get a car home is bust out a screwdriver and take off that dealer license plate frame.

You take that thing off before you hang Marilyn or the pine tree from the rear-view, before you program in your fav radio stations (if the frame is on there, you probably have NPR in position #1) and before you put that dive flag on the back window.

Next time you're on the road - find a dealer license plate frame on the back of a car, and pull up next to it. Look at the driver. Oh yeah... you KNOW this goober is still in their OW Slap Strap, has NPR #1, and likely has an orange shovel in the glove box.

---
Ken
Dude, you know me better than my therapist!

Well, except for the NPR thing ... Position #1 on my radio is reserved for the Gentle Jazz station, you know ... the one that features Kenny G hits ... :blinking:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

pupdiver:
In SoCal, it is definitely the giant Sea Hunt knife strapped to the leg. The dive shops out here must be pushing them like crazy.
Let me guess ... they're marketed as "protection against great whites" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Let me guess ... they're marketed as "protection against great whites" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They're marketed as "you too can be like your instructor, isn't he (or she) Keen? Why settle for a knife when you can have a KNIFE?..."

(that will be $59.99 at the counter, you n00b.)

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom