What is scuba diving's orange shovel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, Austin... If you dive much in the Caribbean, you're going to see lots and lots of ratty old dive gear that's held together with duct tape and wire ties. New gear is NICE -- Don't get me wrong, but man, there are people out there who look like Christmas trees... I'm the first person, (as someone with less than a hundred dives, myself) to lend someone a hand. I am, by no means, "elite." The signs of a new diver are, most often, good for a grin, but we all gotta' start somewhere. I don't think anyone is running down new divers, here. Just having a bit of a good-natured chuckle. Nothing malicious.

No..the thread isn't about being "malicious"...just some people seeing themselves as "holier-than-thou". Personally...I'm far more likely to take the greener instabuddy than the one who has all the bad habits already deeply ingrained, given the choice.

And diving the Caribbean isn't something I do often. :wink: LOL And I know and dive with several people with a lot of patched gear...they're called "instructors"..:wink:. But up here in the "deep'n'dark" (or the lesser known but far more fun world of extremely low vis known as the "shallow'n'still dark" LOL) of the PNW bad gear can be one more liability we don't have the luxury of affording.

And I can also completely agree on the Christmas tree look being a bit of a give away for a neophyte diver (we call them "Charm Bracelets" up here..lol). But, we do all start somewhere, and clutter gets sorted out in a hurry. (Why the hell am I carrying this snorkel anyway? Do I really need 8 dive lights? Why can't I find my gauges? I only have 6 other things on this D-ring...)

But it can also be dangerous to attribute gear with good qualities as being associated with newness to the sport. After all, nobody usually wants to look like the new kid, even if they are. Aren't we doing a bit of a disservice to new divers by saying "if you wear this piece of gear, we'll all know you're new and laugh at you"?

Cheers,
Austin

I find this thread both amusing and little sad.

As someone that has been a climber and backpacker both for more than 20 years and as someone that's brand new to diving, I think it's sad to see ppl that look over others and make assumptions and cast judgements based on chosen gear.

Quite frankly I don't care if I look like a newbie when in fact I am a newbie. Will I have a giant knife, no. If I bought a tank banger (didn't) because I thought I was supposed to have one, what does it say? It says more about the person being judgemental than the person who didn't make a wise gear choice.

...and for what it's worth I love those orange shovels. :wink: They are lighter than the metal variety and work a lot better than a stick. When I have to take a dump I don't want to bother with finding a stick or several to dig a small pit.

Well I'll make sure when I get certified this year that I have none of this equipment, and gosh darnit, I'll try to make sure to go out of my way to make sure none of my equipment matches in color too!!! Cant have something that almost looks like a set of something.

Man, isnt there a humor section or something, as I really dont see how this is going to 'help' a newbie or someone considering diving. Heck, after reading this thread, I'm almost ready to not even try it reading how some folks are willing to go out of their way / avoid 'newbies'.

:confused:

This thread is ironic and somewhat silly.
It reminds me of my other hobbies. Each has its elitists and purists but the vast majority are just people how enjoy it.
Take golf. Some snicker at the guys with the shinny new $800 driver but still holds an honest 20 handicap. I look for the skinny kid that has a beat up carry bag that has a one iron in it.
Woodworkers/turners. Some have all of the best stuff, and dull chisels and use pocket screws.
Home machinists/welders. Nothing. All of them are good folk!
And now divers. They laugh at the color coordinated divers as they wiggle into their all black gear. They brag about how little lead they have to carry, and then fight like crazy to get a grip on the anchor chain. They laugh at the Christmas tree diver but when they surface 11 miles from shore and there is no boat in sight, well you know the rest.

Dave

Mo2vation:
Neoprene Slap Strap with the Dive shop name on it
Hehe, does it count if I'm diving with an LDS-labelled slap strap if I have it put on upside-down? (Very few people seem to notice, actually.)

I certainly won't defend the octo-balls. Mine tearing off the split ring was the first step toward questioning why on earth I had some of the junk. :D

looped:
I'm almost ready to not even try it reading how some folks are willing to go out of their way / avoid 'newbies'.

:confused:

I love diving with newbies. They help keep me excited about the little things.

Looped, I tend to agree with ya. I was beginning to feel a bit self-conscious reading through some of these responses, but figure the intent of the thread was all in fun. Those who actually look down their noses at my gear choices probably have some valuable adviece to share with me, but I'll probably avoid them as much as they're avoiding me so I won't hear their advice/critiques anyway. I'm heavily into the history scene, and there is a group there who are called "Button counters"; they spend most of their time and energy critizing others who violate their notions of inauthenticity but offer very little constructive advice to neophytes. You learn to ignore this type if the community is something you truly want to be a part of.

I love newbies! They have such joy in what they're doing, and they're often the most attentive and careful buddies.

The OP just wanted to know how to avoid looking like one.

TSandM:
I love newbies! They have such joy in what they're doing, and they're often the most attentive and careful buddies.

The OP just wanted to know how to avoid looking like one.

Me too! I love to dive with my newly certified wife!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom