What is the best macro lens...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. Revisiting the thread. I have decided on either a Subsee +10 or Dyron +7 67mm. with my 14-42mm lens ( for now).

I can get the Dyron out of Australia for $205aud/usd shipped or the Subsee from USA for $225+ shipping(website says $40+).

Im guessing the Subsee will give a greater magnification. But will it to limiting in what I can use it for?
Which will provide the best image quality?
Will the Dyron give a greater depth of field?
What distance will I be able to focus on this from/to? I use a LED lighting system that only starts illuminating objects evenly at about 100mm ( 4 inches).

hey Greg
Yes, the subsee +10 gives a little more magnification than the Dyron +7. The dyron +7 is stackable, the subsee +10 is larger, heavier, and will limit you a little more. I love the subsee +10 with my dSLR, but between the 2 I'd probably prefer the Dyron +7 with the Oly 14-42mm lens.

In general, the stronger the diopter, the less the depth of field. Both lenses give fairly similar image quality on the Olympus 14-42mm lens based on the shots I've taken.

hope that helps! -Scott

Well in the end I decided on the Dyron +7 from Bluewaterphoto ( Thanks Scott) and it turned up over the weekend.
No pics yet but I have some dives planned soon.

It does make the "focus" lights on the PT-EP05L redundant since it cause shadows but Im not to concerned with that.
It came with a pocket to store the lens in when not in use but there is no way to connect this to anything else for storage during the dive when not in use.

I've only played with the Oly 12-50 on the surface, but the macro focus switch on this lens allows you to fill the frame with something 1.5 inches long. Adding a wet lens adapter gives you additional magnification. Nauticam is coming out with a port that will allow you to access the macro switch.

Just returned from my first digital photo excursion. Did some work with an E-PL2 and the PTMC-01 macro conversion lens. Had no high expectations, but was pleased.

file://localhost/Users/leecraig/Desktop/Eleuthera%202012/xmas%20trees.jpg

file://localhost/Users/leecraig/Desktop/Eleuthera%202012/sea%20slug%201.jpg

It's no good trying to judge the "best" of anything, btw.

cant see your pics :(....try photobucket or flickr.

Just returned from my first digital photo excursion. Did some work with an E-PL2 and the PTMC-01 macro conversion lens. Had no high expectations, but was pleased.

file://localhost/Users/leecraig/Desktop/Eleuthera%202012/xmas%20trees.jpg

file://localhost/Users/leecraig/Desktop/Eleuthera%202012/sea%20slug%201.jpg

It's no good trying to judge the "best" of anything, btw.

Back
Top Bottom