What is the best Single BP/W setup for the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at Golem Gear as well, they have a good combo on 35lb wing with either ss or alu plate. Combo include harness, D-rings and cam bands. The wing has an 'intergrated' tank adapter, no need for and additional one. Using it and can't fault it.
Golem 35 Lbs SS Combo

013-jpg.154009.jpg

Eric Sedletsky's Freedom Plate. It's contoured to fit your spine and hips. The tank will not move, shift, slip or make you thing there is even a tank on your back.

I'm right there with JFE - I just got the Golem Gear SS backplate/ 35 lb wing combo. Arrived Wednesday. It comes w/ a hogarthian one-piece continuous harness, and even a cutting device. For $ 350.00 ? Done, son.
upload_2017-9-5_9-43-58.png

You need to look into the individual buoyancy characteristics of the tank you are looking to purchase. Here is a chart with this information. A Faber HP-100 Is almost 15 lbs negative compared to a FX-100 which is around 8 lbs. A standard aluminum 80 is around 2 lbs.
I am finding that the Fabers distributed by XS Scuba ( Worthington Replacements) are less negative than the Worthington equivelants they replace. I am not sure if the chart you reference has included these newer cylinders.

I haven't been able to weigh them in the water but I think they are heavier in the water than advertised. If I get around to testing I will post here.

That would be great! I have a set of the XS Scuba HDG Faber 120s on order and I will weigh them when I get them. I usually weight in Fresh water...most published specifications I see are in salt.

That is the problem when people talk about tanks and just say it is a HP-100, as there are several high pressure 100 cubic foot tanks on the market. I am not sure what tank you are talking about. I think you are talking about the X-series Worthingtons which would be about 10 lbs negative.

According to DGX the older low-pressure tanks with a plus rating are being discontinued and replaced by tanks of a higher rating. I think these charts are more current:

Blue Steel Scuba - Cylinder Specs

Worthington Steel Tank Specs Chart

Ray indicated he had the Faber Hot Dipped Galvanized earlier in the thread. DGX is distributing these in place of the Worthingtons now.

Ray indicated he had the Faber Hot Dipped Galvanized earlier in the thread. DGX is distributing these in place of the Worthingtons now.
Yes that is correct. I have not seen those tanks included in any chart so far. If you look at the FX 100 Faber tank which is the painted version and add about 2 to 3 pounds you will be just about right as far as I can tell.

I'm right there with JFE - I just got the Golem Gear SS backplate/ 35 lb wing combo. Arrived Wednesday. It comes w/ a hogarthian one-piece continuous harness, and even a cutting device. For $ 350.00 ? Done, son.
View attachment 425247

How was your experience with them? Golem has a reputation of being difficult to deal with, I wondered if they are more responsive now.

When I recently swapped over from a BCD to a DGX wing with SS plate I was a little surprised at the weight shift. Prior to the swap I was using about 9-10 lbs. (I always dive with an AL80) so I figured a 6 lb. SS plate plus 3-4 Lbs. With the SS plate I added my standard 4 lbs. and was way too heavy, so I stripped all the weights and I was trimmed out with an empty bottle. I figure most of the mystery weight was trapped air / inherent buoyancy in my old BCD. The point of this is that the weight calculations are not as straightforward as they look and if they are close on paper you may wish to try for a lighter plate. For myself, with way to many donuts hanging on my mid-section, a SS plate works, but there is little wiggle room and if I were to go with a more negative tank I would need to acquire a lighter aluminum or composite plate or be over weighted.

You can always check the inherent buoyancy of a BC by placing it in a pool and adding weight until it sinks . Same goes for a wetsuit. Most of the backplate and wing calculators subtract a few pounds for the BC.

How was your experience with them? Golem has a reputation of being difficult to deal with, I wondered if they are more responsive now.

Really good experience, I placed my order on a Tuesday evening, the product shipped Wednesday by lunch, and received all in great condition. Perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom