What is the best way to keep my long hair out of the way when scuba diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EFB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have long, thick, wavy hair (it covers my bra strap in the back). I went to my first class with it pulled back in a French Braid. That didn't last through the swim test. Normally, where I would wear my ponytail is exactly where the mask strap would go, so that is a bad idea.

For those of you with long hair, what do you do? Low ponytail? Pigtails?

Hubby doesn't have this issue at as he is completely bad (lucky duck).

TIA

So cutting it off is not an option?

I tell long haired students to use either a tropic hood or Lycra hood. Both are light weight and both will reduce the chance of critters munching away at your hair.

Also, spend a few bucks and get a slap strap for your mask. I you go hoodless, it reduces the hair pulling donning and doffing your mask.

Either a hood, Neoprene mask strap, or a bandana would be a good bet if you want to keep your hair.
If you're diving tropical a lycra hood would be a good bet, to protect from jellies.
If you're in a pool or diving where jellies are non-existent you could go with the bandana.
Usually though keeping your ends away from any clips or silicone will keep you from pulling your hair out. If you've already tried a silicone snorkel keeper then you could try using a hair tie or a 3/16" bungee loop as a snorkel keeper. Always ditch the plastic clip on your snorkel.

As for what to do with your hair, french braiding is a always good idea, whether wearing a hood or not.
One of my friends also rocks french braided pig tails constantly. Her pig tails begin right at the base of her hair line though. It helps to get the bulk off the back of her neck when she wears a hood.

Here's a video of how the bandana should worn.
[video=youtube;qsSzKszRmwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsSzKszRmwU&feature=related[/video]
1) Fold the banana into a triangle
2) Put the folded side on your forehead and tie a knot around your head.
3) Flip the remaining open sided corner over your head and tuck it under the knot.

My daughter and I had the same problem. We both tried the bandana with no luck, kept sliding off. Unlike you we have very fine hair. Even after 3 girls, I just suck at doing hair. I can barely do pony tails with no "lumps." What I found to work for me, for both not looking drowned and keeping the hair out of my mask is I pull back the sides and front portion of my hair into a small, laying flat, kind of pony tail on each side of my head. Using the dive skin hood helps a lot. I would think that after you got the two ponys on each side then do one large pony in the back to include the 2 side ones might work. We also have found that using the mask straps with the velcro, is a no no, hair gets tangled in the velcro. I have tried the reg. one pony with no luck what so ever. This 2 small side ones as been my saving grace and not shaving my head, which I was thinking about during and after OW.

Buy yourself a Dee Rag, she advertises on the board and her web site is Welcome to the home of Dee Rags!. She is a wonderful lady and you will like it. Either that or get a neoprene beanie, or warm water hood. Has a strap under your chin and covers your head. My wife putsher hair in a french braid and used the beanie.

I have long, thick, wavy hair (it covers my bra strap in the back). I went to my first class with it pulled back in a French Braid. That didn't last through the swim test. Normally, where I would wear my ponytail is exactly where the mask strap would go, so that is a bad idea.

For those of you with long hair, what do you do? Low ponytail? Pigtails?

Hubby doesn't have this issue at as he is completely bad (lucky duck).

TIA

Rip it out, tear it out, pain pain.. mask dangle from head.. by hair.. break ends.. Basicly everything bad is good? I have no idea how to deal with it other than hood.

http://i.imgur.com/vLpYCh.jpg I just brave it sometimes or I will wear hood. Depends what mood I am in.

If I wore a bra (I am male) it would cover my bra strap too LOL! Mine is not short by any means.

Last edited:
Reactions: EFB
Cut it off!!! :D

the K-lipper Kid

For any type of hair length, thin or thick. Bangs or none. To enjoy the dive until you can get use to the irritating hair issue. Use a hood thickness is up to you. Or have a customized hood made to suit your need.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

Reactions: EFB
I have long hair and I solved the problem by doing a pony tail at the nape of my neck and then placing another rubber band about halfway down between the top band and the end of my hair. I use covered rubber bands so they're easy to pull off my hair. Before putting on my mask, I dip water out of the mask bucket and smooth down my hair and bangs off my face.

Water Sports 4" Hair Glove

My wife has long hair (so did I, when we started diving) and the Hair Glove is an excellent solution. I've bought her several of them in the 8" length so she can wear one that matches her suit that day... You just pull your hair back in a pony tail (away from your mask strap), clip the hair glove to the elastic and wrap it. No muss, no fuss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom