What is the coolest thing you have seen underwater in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD Yes occasionally pilot whales show up here and although I have never seen one full size whales sometimes pass through the Channel. As a matter of fact in the mid-80's a huge whale breached underneath the old tiny ferry and flipped it over. The playmates? go to facebooks searchbar, enter: Cozumel Diving There are two. Ours has the pix of the hammerhead. A clip of the video is there

DD Yes occasionally pilot whales show up here and although I have never seen one full size whales sometimes pass through the Channel. As a matter of fact in the mid-80's a huge whale breached underneath the old tiny ferry and flipped it over. The playmates? go to facebooks searchbar, enter: Cozumel Diving There are two. Ours has the pix of the hammerhead. A clip of the video is there
I saw a pod of Pilot Whales in the Windward Antilles once. I was on a Windjammer cruise (before scuba) listening to the captain's briefing when they past by. I said "Never try to compete with an animal act, skipper." He would not allow us to snorkel with them of course.

Never heard the whale overturning ferry story. How wild, and dangerous. I think there is a population that migrates to the Caribbean each year so I can imagine how one may have wandered thru.

I was joking about the Playmates. There are models all over the internet to view, and the ones I have met in person seem so alien to me anyway.

The three German girls bathing topless at Palapita when we got off the boat. I didnt look, the others told me about it.....for you Randy

I saw a large grouper swimming with a large moray. Clearly hunting together. I had heard of this happening but it was very cool to actually see it.

I saw a large grouper swimming with a large moray. Clearly hunting together. I had heard of this happening but it was very cool to actually see it.
Haha saw a banded shrimp on a tire near Casa del Mar once. One of my buds reached to see if he would clean his hand and an eel came out. I guess the shrimp attracted fish to the cleaning station, the eel snapped him, so the shrimp settled for pieces.

tang_and_ange2l.jpg

SCC shore '09

Herd of pilot whales. Got to snorkel with them for quite some time during surface interval.

What you might have seen that look like pilot whales are actually called 'False Killer Whales". They are a type of dolphin.

False killer whale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our boat captain got about 12 minutes of close up video of them and it was confirmed by marine biologists. They have made several appearances in Cozumel. Of course, it is possible that they were pilot whales, I just hadn't heard any stories about them making an appearance in recent years.

I've seen three sailfish off of Columbia Deep. Lately, I have seen a nice 6 foot Caribbean reef shark at Punta Sur, on the wall, right before you get to Cathedral. (Well before Devils Throat.) It was definitely not a Blacktip.

I am STILL waiting for my dolphin encounter. I have heard them plenty of times and seen them topside but no magic moement for me yet! <sigh>

One of my favorite moments.

mid_639-E10E9E2751D3445585D5DF1DCB882863.jpg

What you might have seen that look like pilot whales are actually called 'False Killer Whales". They are a type of dolphin.

False killer whale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Our boat captain got about 12 minutes of close up video of them and it was confirmed by marine biologists. They have made several appearances in Cozumel. Of course, it is possible that they were pilot whales, I just hadn't heard any stories about them making an appearance in recent years.
And that might have been what we saw a pod of in the Windward Antilles - how would I know...?

Back
Top Bottom