What is the craziest "specialty" you have heard of that you know is actually real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard of a store offering Eclipse Diver during the August 2017 solar eclipse in the US.

I have this one!!

Cost of the "Class" was only like $10-$20 more than admission to the quarry and 2 air fills (both included with the class). It also included eclispse glasses to watch the event...

20935038_741644016038186_4737928748697872141_o.jpg

There is one distinctive specialty that has only ONE recipient. And he is the only one who will EVER receive it...
20181203_133811.jpg

There is one distinctive specialty that has only ONE recipient. And he is the only one who will EVER receive it...
View attachment 493926

I had several chances to volunteer for an identical role this month, but alas, would not have earned a c-card even had I been able to arrange my schedule to do so.

I wonder if there is a record kept to the one or ones that have the most c-cards.

I think you should start a new thread with a poll for this!

While there may be a few specialties mentioned here with substance (see boulderjohn above), for the most part I get the impression that this is for PADI a way of selling more cert cards. Can anyone say that most of those specialties mentioned in this thread compare to a specialty with real learning, such as Navigation, for example?

PADI is not the only agency that allows instructors to write the material and submit it as a specialty course. NAUI does as well. For some instructors this can be a competitive advantage or simply a distinctive (hence the nomenclature of the courses).

Over in Royal WA there is a guy who offers course in Missile Silo diving. One doesn't have to obtain the cert to dive in the silo. However, if one wants to learn more about it beyond a guided tour then the course is available. If I was in his shoes I would have done the same thing.

Some distinctive course become more mainstream and opens up to other instructors. A perfect example of this is full face mask.

Cost of the "Class" was only like $10-$20 more than admission to the quarry and 2 air fills (both included with the class). It also included eclispse glasses to watch the event...

That's cheating: you are not actually diving there.

It'd be curious to see what you can see from underwater I guess... (Edited: I see I left out the 2nd "see". D'oh.)

That's cheating: you are not actually diving there.

It'd be curious to see what you can from underwater I guess...

Drop down shortly before the full eclipse, within a few minutes, your day dive becomes a night dive becomes a day dive again :)

Lol, @dmaziuk , now you're being picky! I bet the study guide for Eclipse Diver was very rigorous. :wink: After all, Nitrox doesn't require any dives, either, and I got one of them cards.

I completed the optional dives for both "Eclipse Diver" and Nitrox :wink:... I'm no slacker

We did do a predive briefing to learn more about the eclipse, the path, and history associated with them... but there wasn't an exam :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom