What is the difference - BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. New diver. I know this is an expensive hobby, and we trust our lives on our gear, but I am curious to learn what is the difference between a 400 BCD and a 2000 BCD.
From my newbie eyes, I can see some weight differences, but in the end, will I not have the same benefits with both?
Thanks

usually marketing budget for a large company and unnecessary gimmicks.

The best BCD on the market imo is also the best value. $500US, so "one million dollars" Canadian, gets you a Deep Sea Supply plate and wing that has everything you need to go diving in the box. Plate, cam bands, wing, LPI hose, harness etc. There are a lot of unique design features in that piece of gear and the customer service from Tobin who posts on here as @cool_hardware52 is superb. You have a direct connection to the guy that makes this stuff and he is very passionate about what he does and it shows in the gear that he sells.

@tone, is that a good idea for someone still getting feet wet like me? I thought that wings are better for advanced divers or regular divers.

@lowviz, maybe that is part of the answer. Better quality materials that last longer?

Are you asking about the denier rating? Ballistic nylon - Wikipedia

"Denier" is the weight in grams of 9000 Meters of the fiber used to weave a fabric. I'd be very surprised if anybody is using 400 denier for BC's. 400 is pretty light fabric. Think cheap safety sausage.

How Is Denier Measured?

I also doubt anybody is using 2000 denier materials. That would be very heavy. True ballistic Nylons are "1050", but are a duplex weave, meaning two "1050" fibers are twisted together and then used to weave the fabric. One might say true ballistic is 1050 + 1050 = 2100 Denier, but the actual individual fibers are 1050.

My guess is the 400 and 2000 refer to a model or some other feature of the BC's in question.

Tobin

I would guess the OP was talking cost. $400 vs $2000. I don't know any 2k BCD's, but might be exaggerating for effect?

The stuff about BP/W only being for Advanced divers is a bunch of hoohah. Baloney! I've been in one since my 2nd pool session last year. I'm still here and still diving.

I like not getting squeezed at my sides, an uncluttered front, and since I'm a minimalist at heart, works just fine for me.

See if you can try one out. I love it.

@tone, is that a good idea for someone still getting feet wet like me? I thought that wings are better for advanced divers or regular divers.

I did get the same advice last year when i did start diving. 100 dives later i did change to a bp/w anyway, i should have started with it.
The only small disadvantage is when diving wet you have no pockets.

Cressi's Travelight, Tusa's Crestline or the Scubapro Go all use 210 denier fabric.
I thought the Aqualung Zuma used 420 denier also but I can't find it listed.

I like 1050 denier wings - in a pinch they work as sand paper also. (j/k....)

An Atomic BC1 retails for $1400 - afaik the most expensive currently.
Add an SS1 and it's $1789 or at the current exchange rate $2235 CAD,

so it's possible..

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom