What is the most logical place to put an Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because when I have drag three green bags full of urchins plus a lift bag full of water up the beach it gets damn heavy!
OK, I'm talking underwater!
My lift bags are open bottom. The water runs out on the beach. Yours are closed?

I'm also no following what he means.

OK, I'm talking underwater!
My lift bags are open bottom. The water runs out on the beach. Yours are closed?
Yes they are semi closed.
My 50# lift bag has a fabric/vinyl funnel on the bottom with a hole about an inch around that allows air in via a purged second stage. The hole will work like a duckbill if air attempts to escape out the bottom. The area around funnel (below the internal hole) acts like a big water bag and there is no way to get it out underwater. If I needed all 50# of lift I wouldn’t be able to get it as long as a third of the bag is filled with water.

Yes they are semi closed.
My 50# lift bag has a fabric/vinyl funnel on the bottom with a hole about an inch around that allows air in via a purged second stage. The hole will work like a duckbill if air attempts to escape out the bottom. The area around funnel (below the internal hole) acts like a big water bag and there is no way to get it out underwater. If I needed all 50# of lift I wouldn’t be able to get it as long as a third of the bag is filled with water.

If you add more air it will displace/ push the water out the bottom, as you add air it comes to the top and pushes the water out the bottom.

If you add more air it will displace/ push the water out the bottom, as you add air it comes to the top and pushes the water out the bottom.
No you don't understand. The bottom has a one-way valve, water and air can go in, but none can come out. When water goes in, there is less room for air. I've had the same issue hundreds of times.

Sounds like you guys need different lift bags, a one way valve there makes zero sense.

Here is my lift bag:
IMG_1160.jpeg

It has a clear vinyl funnel with a hole in the center that is glued in on the bottom. The bottom is not open.
IMG_1161.jpeg

Sounds like you guys need different lift bags, a one way valve there makes zero sense.
They are closed bags so there isn’t any chance of an accidental release of air. The hole in the funnel will close like a duckbill if the bag is inverted underwater with air in it and little to no air will escape. If you want to get rid of air underwater you have to use the purge valve at the top. It’s the style and my Dive Rite SMB is the same way.

OP I would really encourage you to give the 7' hose a shot sooner than later. I think you might find you want to use it all the time. There are great reasons behind why many of the worlds best divers have decided to use it everywhere including in open water far away from a wreck or cave.
You don't even need a canister or retainer rod or to stow in your belt - just put a knife or shears case in the same place a light canister would go (right hip), tuck hose behind, and it perfectly serves same function of keeping the long hose contained.

I think you were on the right track with necklace alternate, and even more so with going to primary donate... With the 7' primary you can get the full standardized system with many advantages that works in all environments.

Back
Top Bottom