What is the most logical place to put an Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Run the primary, longer hose, off the posterior and the secondary, short hose, off the anterior. The video you linked is correct (including use of the 7' hose with single back mount). I've never found any difference between looping excess 7' hose under the canister, or tucked in the belt. Both are completely secure and you get all the advantages of adjusting the length precisely (mentioned in post #10). I suppose tall people (e.g. >6'5", I'm only 5'11") might have the tucked portion slip out, but I haven't seen that happen.

If you're going cavern anyway recommend you just switch to the 7' hose now instead if fiddle farting around with a 36" or 40" hose (plus the angle if you're routing under the arm). That's just wasting money on stuff you won't use once you figure out the 7' works really well in all set-ups.
Ordered a 22 inch and 40 inch hose with 70 degree elbow. I saw recommendations on this thread for 70 deg, 90 deg and 110 degree elbows so I'll replace it for $10 if I don't like the 70 deg. Thanks for the recommendation on first stage routing.

Ordered a 22 inch and 40 inch hose with 70 degree elbow. I saw recommendations on this thread for 70 deg, 90 deg and 110 degree elbows so I'll replace it for $10 if I don't like the 70 deg. Thanks for the recommendation on first stage routing.
The 70 and the 110 are identical elbows; they are both 20-deg off 90-deg. The nomenclature just depends on which angle you are measuring...the one that is 20-deg bigger than 90, or the one that is 20-deg smaller.

The 70 and the 110 are identical elbows; they are both 20-deg off 90-deg. The nomenclature just depends on which angle you are measuring...the one that is 20-deg bigger than 90, or the one that is 20-deg smaller.
Beat me to it.

As a primarily solo diver, I've found that the best location for me for my "Octo" alternate 2nd for primary gas is at the end of my inflator with an Air 2. My back mounted pony 2nd stage is now on a bungeed necklace and not in a holder that will allow it to be dislodged or donated as it is there only for me. My primary 2nd is on a 40 in hose and that would be my donate 2nd if that scenario ever occurred.

Seems pointless, you get water in the bag because it's well underwater. You add air which displaces the water and expands to fill more of the bag as it raises.
No it doesn’t. There’s the lower area below the funnel that won’t displace.

They do. (That's why in another thread the guy with the exploded swivel went to the surface.)
But it doesn't matter. The air pushes the water out.
No the water does not push out. It is below the funnel. Expanding air will just go out the overpressure valve at the top.

No the water does not push out. It is below the funnel. Expanding air will just go out the overpressure valve at the top.
Maybe I misunderstood your post. You put a reg at the bottom of a lift bag and are concerned that water gets pulled in as well as air? Why is that a problem? The buoyancy comes from the air; the water is irrelevant.

As a primarily solo diver, I've found that the best location for me for my "Octo" alternate 2nd for primary gas is at the end of my inflator with an Air 2. My back mounted pony 2nd stage is now on a bungeed necklace and not in a holder that will allow it to be dislodged or donated as it is there only for me. My primary 2nd is on a 40 in hose and that would be my donate 2nd if that scenario ever occurred.
So you are running two primaries and three secondaries? What us your use case for the Air 2? No judgement, just seeking to understand.

Maybe I misunderstood your post. You put a reg at the bottom of a lift bag and are concerned that water gets pulled in as well as air? Why is that a problem? The buoyancy comes from the air; the water is irrelevant.
Because when I have drag three big green bags full of urchins plus a lift bag full of water up the beach it gets damn heavy!
Then I have to purge and clear all the water out of the lift bag to get it ready for the next dive and it’s annoying. I’m going to try using the air inflation nipple with my LP hose and see if it works better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom