What is the most logical place to put an Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OOA person does not take an alternate from a necklace. If the alternate is on a necklace, the OOA diver takes the primary and the donor uses the one on the necklace.

The point of it being on the necklace is that it is always right there and available to the donor--it won't come loose on its own, as the regulator in a conventional setup does. That means it is not available to the OOA diver.
The necklace I have is no different in the ability to pull off the regulator as the regulator holder in the triangle. I would tell my instabuddy to pull the regulator off the necklace.

I don't understand the logic behind any regulator being in the triangle.

I have 3 regulators, the regulator bungied on my pony, my primary (not a long hose but if I did restrictions with others I should change this) and my necklaced octo (which is the same quality as my primary).

I started necklacing my octo recently and it makes way more sense than one in the triangle I have to hunt for if I need it.

Btw are you talking about necklaced octo on a short hose with primary donate or just secondary donate on a necklace that you can pull the octo from?

The necklace I have is no different in the ability to pull off the regulator as the regulator holder in the triangle. I would tell my instabuddy to pull the regulator off the necklace.

I don't understand the logic behind any regulator being in the triangle.

I have 3 regulators, the regulator bungied on my pony, my primary (not a long hose but if I did restrictions with others I should change this) and my necklaced octo (which is the same quality as my primary).

I started necklacing my octo recently and it makes way more sense than one in the triangle I have to hunt for if I need it.
I doubt in a real emergency a buddy will reach for your throat, bypass and reach around the working reg with bubbles coming out of it (in your mouth) and try to disentangle a second stage from a strap.

But whatever, I tell people to just take the reg from my mouth and I promise them that I will notice right away and I will use the one around my neck.

Btw are you talking about necklaced octo on a short hose with primary donate or just secondary donate on a necklace that you can pull the octo from?
The latter.

I doubt in a real emergency a buddy will reach for your throat, bypass and reach around the working reg with bubbles coming out of it (in your mouth) and try to disentangle a second stage from a strap.

But whatever, I tell people to just take the reg from my mouth and I promise them that I will notice right away and I will use the one around my neck.
Well this would be another reason that a regulator in the triangle makes no sense.

If the OOA diver is going to take the regulator out of my mouth anyway I would want the secondary regulator where it belongs, right under my piehole.

I do go through sometimes long swim throughs in Coz and do occasional Cenote Cavern dives and may be transitioning without knowing it to single back tank long hose primary donate, necklaced second with a slung Pony.

I’d like to hear more details about where and how they got hung up by their reg necklace.
We were assisting a diver back onto dry land using a harness lift and it snagged their necklace while they were in the water

The latter.

Well this would be another reason that a regulator in the triangle makes no sense.

If the OOA diver is going to take the regulator out of my mouth anyway I would want the secondary regulator where it belongs, right under my piehole.

I do go through sometimes long swim throughs in Coz and do occasional Cenote Cavern dives and may be transitioning without knowing it to single back tank long hose primary donate, necklaced second with a slung Pony.
Ah yea it probably has only benefits to keep it close to your own neck, in case you need it.

One thing I have noticed often, is that when people use these loose necklaces, the octo often falls off, but I guess that would be the case too if they put it in the triangle with a holder.

I was not even trying to start a discussion of primary or secondary donate but those are interesting discussions.
When discussing a necklaced secondary reg vs a traditional secondary, by its very nature you’re discussing primary vs octo donate.

why would it matter for the OOA person whether they take the octopus from the abdominal triangle or off a necklace?

The hose is going to be just long enough to reach the dive’s mouth while allowing them to turn their head in both directions. So like 20”-22”. So the OOG diver is going really all up in your business. The octopus in the triangle is traditionally going to be on a longer hose than primary. 40”-42”.

As others have mentioned, the long hose (primary) can become entrapped but the short hose (secondary) and therefore not easily deployable.

For this person with the necklaced second it is safer if they have a freeflow or other failure of the primary…
If a diver having is a free flow without a redundant gas source, they should continue to breathe from the free flowing reg while expeditiously making their way to their buddy or the surface. A full on free flowing reg is going to empty a full tank in a couple of minutes. If the tank is close to empty you won’t have more than a min. There’s no reason to waste more gas by breathing from the other reg.

. The octopus in the triangle is traditionally going to be on a longer hose than primary. 40”-42”.
I am asking you to think outside the box. If you take the typical recreational setup with the recreational hose lengths, instead of putting the secondary regulator in the triangle, put it on a necklace.

Win, Win.

The latter.

Perhaps it was not obvious, but I support the use of a necklace. The problem I have is with the practice you use of: telling people that in an emergency, they are supposed to use the necklace regulator as the preferred option.

I have never seen a regulator on a necklace with the donor expecting the OOA diver to take the one on the necklace. I guess it could happen, but I don't see the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom