What is the quietest DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One good use of DPV other than just playing and cave diving. There was a dive shop at the conference hotel I was at in Hawaii that ran shore trips and one of the sites was a bit far down the coast for an underwater swim. So they would DPV down to the site, then dive it without DPV and then DPV back. I would have done that one but they were not running it on the days I was diving with them. Was a good conference. I would meet DM for a shore dive around 8 am or a tad before. Do an hour long dive. Then quick shower and to to work.

One good use of DPV other than just playing and cave diving. There was a dive shop at the conference hotel I was at in Hawaii that ran shore trips and one of the sites was a bit far down the coast for an underwater swim. So they would DPV down to the site, then dive it without DPV and then DPV back. I would have done that one but they were not running it on the days I was diving with them. Was a good conference. I would meet DM for a shore dive around 8 am or a tad before. Do an hour long dive. Then quick shower and to to work.

essentially the same thing we do when cave diving. Use it to expedite your arrival at whatever your destination is. Park it and do your dive, then pick it up to head home. Great use for a DPV, but when doing that, I'd be looking for one that was easy enough to get into and out of the water, fast enough to not use too much gas on your way out, and not worry about the noise.

Those Navy Seal guys have to be silent, but deadly.
Don't they use leg mounted, modified Pegasus thrusters?

Pegasus Thruster - Underwater Scuba Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV)

military divers use a variety of propulsion vehicles, but most are similar to the ones we use in cave diving. When they are using them though, they aren't as concerned about noise nearly as much as they are about bubbles and speed. You can't hear DPV's from the surface

Those are very slow. Manufacturer rates them at 1.9MPH top speed so you know you'll end up getting less most likely. They aren't exactly silent, but maybe quieter than regular scooters.

I've been in the water with one, could just keep up with it finning. Love the compact design, but not like the others discussed on the thread.

Cameron

Those are very slow. Manufacturer rates them at 1.9MPH top speed so you know you'll end up getting less most likely. They aren't exactly silent, but maybe quieter than regular scooters.
Maybe it’s meant to be used in tangent with finning. Kind of like an electric booster on your bike, it doesn’t move you fast, it just helps.

You'll never hear the end of it!
Isn't that the point? Not hearing the end, the beginning, the middle....nothing!

Everybody and their mother claims that the military uses their stuff, with varying degrees of accuracy to the statement. If some former SF dude buys one for his kids to use in the pool, or the some supply sergeant buys a couple for the rec shack, some companies will claim that there products are in use with "special forces divers." Other will say that if some organization buys a couple for testing, say the NEDU buying a couple for comparison. Some won't even claim that even if they've got a legit contract.

Saying that the military uses it is about as accurate as saying "aircraft grade aluminum."

Back
Top Bottom