What is the worst place to eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had many good meals at places that others have had bad ones, example al pie carbon.
I have also had a few, (very few actually), bad meals at places that folks absolutely rave about here.
A while back there was a thread about the same thing and I posted about a bad meal and was totally flamed to a crisp, so I will not mention them.

I have had many good meals at places that others have had bad ones, example al pie carbon.
I have also had a few, (very few actually), bad meals at places that folks absolutely rave about here.
A while back there was a thread about the same thing and I posted about a bad meal and was totally flamed to a crisp, so I will not mention them.
I agree a single bad meal may not be representive of the norm in a restaurant. Another thing is a paticular dish may not taste good to you. I went to El Moro and while I normally do not like Mole` everyone talked it up and I ordered a Mole` topped item, it sucked. Everyone else liked it, bottom line there was nothing wrong with the Mole` other than I don't like Mole`. I have been back to El Moro many times since and enjoyed every other meal I have had

I agree a single bad meal may not be representive of the norm in a restaurant. Another thing is a paticular dish may not taste good to you. I went to El Moro and while I normally do not like Mole` everyone talked it up and I ordered a Mole` topped item, it sucked. Everyone else liked it, bottom line there was nothing wrong with the Mole` other than I don't like Mole`. I have been back to El Moro many times since and enjoyed every other meal I have had
There is a lot of variability in molé. There is a restaurant down the street from me where I got it all the time and loved it. Then they changed the recipe and now I don't like it nearly as much. Other places have been hit and miss for me.

Interesting thread! Every Oct. when we visit the island, it was a ritual to have dinner at La Perilla Mission. Sadly they closed. Somewhere I had read that it is under the same ownership as La Mission. What a massive disappointment! The food had the exotic spices of a hospital cafeteria and despite the lack of diners, our waiter seemed utterly bothered by us. He had the dour surliness of Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey but without the charm. Too many dining options to deal with sub par food and service.

There is a lot of variability in molé. There is a restaurant down the street from me where I got it all the time and loved it. Then they changed the recipe and now I don't like it nearly as much. Other places have been hit and miss for me.

There is a lot of variability in a lot of dishes. My very favorite breakfast is Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde - that green sauce made from tomatillos. Salsa Verde done right is pure heaven, a perfect blend of the sweet yet tart fruitiness of the tomatillos, the bite of the onion, the heat and fruitiness of the chile peppers. But it's easy to get it wrong. I've tried half a dozen times to make Salsa Verde at home, and failed every time. There are several places on Cozumel that have good Salsa Verde, a very few places that have great Salsa Verde, and a few that have bad Salsa Verde. Luckily for me, I had some pretty good Salsa Verde the first time I tried it. If it had been bad, I might have decided that I just didn't like Salsa Verde, and given up. Mole is pretty much the same thing, only with a lot more variety - different kinds of Mole (I think I read somewhere that just in the State of Oaxaca there are over 60 different varieties of Mole) and lots of different recipes. So don't just try it once and decide that you don't like Mole.

One trip and limited sampling but three times we ate at La Choza (because it was across the street from where we stayed). The guacamole was our favorite of the trip but every other dish we ordered there was a disappointment and our last meal there was our most expensive single meal of our whole trip.

WOw! Different strokes. I have eaten for over 20 years at La Choza and never had a bad meal…but they do charge well for maggies. Try their Puerco en Tomate some time and use the Orange colored salsa with flour tortillas.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Worst place to eat in Coz? That's easy - HOOTERS! Rest assured the food sucks as much there as it does in the states only difference is you get to spend the most money possible for food and drinks in cozumel for the "experience".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom