What is the worst place to eat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrilla, on 30th Ave?

Ok, yeah - I was disappointed the last time I ate there a few years ago. I thought I might try them again sometime, but I guess not.[/QUOTE

Yes, the Parilla on 30th.

There is a lot of variability in a lot of dishes. My very favorite breakfast is Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde - that green sauce made from tomatillos. Salsa Verde done right is pure heaven, a perfect blend of the sweet yet tart fruitiness of the tomatillos, the bite of the onion, the heat and fruitiness of the chile peppers. But it's easy to get it wrong. I've tried half a dozen times to make Salsa Verde at home, and failed every time. There are several places on Cozumel that have good Salsa Verde, a very few places that have great Salsa Verde, and a few that have bad Salsa Verde. Luckily for me, I had some pretty good Salsa Verde the first time I tried it. If it had been bad, I might have decided that I just didn't like Salsa Verde, and given up. Mole is pretty much the same thing, only with a lot more variety - different kinds of Mole (I think I read somewhere that just in the State of Oaxaca there are over 60 different varieties of Mole) and lots of different recipes. So don't just try it once and decide that you don't like Mole.

I find chilaquiles are a safe bet. Really, someone manages to screw up a dish as simple as a casserole of yesterday's stale tortillas in yesterday's leftover salsa?

Salsa verde couldn't be simpler, and as a matter of fact my wife and I have a batch slated for tonight's dinner: grilled skirt steak, homemade tortillas, and salsa verde. For salsa recipes, take a look at Roberto Santibanez's cookbooks.

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't recall having had any bad salsas in Cozumel. I suppose if I keep returning, eventually I will find some that don't appeal to me. Who had the "bad" salsa verde?

Salsa verde couldn't be simpler, and as a matter of fact my wife and I have a batch slated for tonight's dinner: grilled skirt steak, homemade tortillas, and salsa verde. For salsa recipes, take a look at Roberto Santibanez's cookbooks.

. . . . Who had the "bad" salsa verde?

Oh, I know that Salsa Verde LOOKS simple - only about 6-8 ingredients, tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano chiles, cilantro, oregano, cumin and salt, IIRC. But the flavor is all about balance - too little onion or chile, and it's bland, too much and it's either too sharp or too hot, too little cilantro or oregano, and it's flat, too much and the herb flavors overwhelm the fresh fruitiness of the tomatillos. I've tried several times, and for whatever reason, could never get the balance quite right. And on other things, I'm a damn good cook - My own Spaghetti Putanesca will put the one they serve at Rolandi's to shame (though Rolandi's uses canned ripe olives - cheap crap - whereas I only use Kalamata olives; Rolandi's also skimps on both the red pepper flakes and garlic, and uses Anchovy Paste instead of high quality anchovy fillets).

As to who had the "bad" salsa verde, there was a little stall back in the Mercada that had Chicken Enchiladas con Salsa Verde, and the salsa verde there damn near permanently scarred my tongue - I think they used equal portions of tomatillos and ghost peppers.

No oregano or cumin in mine, thanks, but otherwise, yup, that's all there is to it. Funny coincidence, but as I was sitting here typing my wife just gave me a taste of today's batch. Superb, in my opinion. You may just be a salsa connoisseur :)

:hijack:

No oregano or cumin in mine, thanks, but otherwise, yup, that's all there is to it. Funny coincidence, but as I was sitting here typing my wife just gave me a taste of today's batch. Superb, in my opinion. You may just be a salsa connoisseur :)
What time's dinner. :D

I have never tried salsa verde but a quick search showed very diverse recipes.

Is this the cookbook? Tacos, Tortas, and Tamales: Flavors from the Griddles, Pots, and Streetside Kitchens of Mexico

Always on the lookout for a good cookbook.

We use that one as well as his "Truly Mexican."

As DjDiverDan seems to appreciate, Mexican cooking is all about the salsas, not to mention the moles, adobos, etc. You could make cardboard taste good with the right sauce.

And an excellent thread hijack it was. I think I'm guilty of instigating it. Do I need to start a thread on "best salsa in Coz" to redeem myself?

Chief, Costa Brava has a good inexpensive breakfast. It is dependably open early so you can go before diving.
I have never had a truly horrible meal besides at a hotel on Coz. I have had a few that were just meh.
LA Choza, didn't care for dinner, loved the breakfast. Never have been impressed in the 4 times I have been to Kondessa, except for the guacamole which is phenomenal. I thought the mission restaurants were like chain restaurants here, nothing special. Even places that are our favorites can have an off meal.

One really bad meal at Playa Bonita on the east side. Ate the ceviche, tasted great but I got severe food poisoning and lost two days of a trip. They have no electricity and no refrigeration. I am sure I got sick from their food because of the timing and it was the only thing I ate other than some toast and coffee that morning

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom