What is your favorite mnemonic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"do you have a BETTER one than VENTID???"

No, but I do plan to work on one. Giving someone a memory key that is difficult to remember is not very helpful.

I work in a Hospital, and we use the following, in varying situations:

In the event of a fire, R-A-C-E
Rescue - anyone in immediate danger
Alarm - pull the alarm box
Contain - close windows and doors
Evacuate - to the next "smoke zone"

To operate a fire extinguisher, P-A-S-S
Pull - the pin
Aim - at the base of the fire
Squeeze - the trigger handle
Sway - the stream back and forth

And a new one I'm really not happy with,
In the event of a hazardous spill, C-L-E-A-N
Contain - the spill
Leave - the area
Emergency - medical treatment
Access - the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
Notify - contact the operator

Happy Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

Frigged(sensored) Up Beyond All Recognition

Mike D

pchelp once bubbled...
Well, it seems most computer support problems are really

id10t

problems (not to be confused with a 10BT problem)

If this doesn't make sense, just write it out in all capital letters on a piece of paper, it will become clear....

DEU = defective end user

It's an organization that I founded with a few friends a couple of years ago. It was in response to a handful of extreme animal rights activists and vegetarians who felt it necessary to "get in your face" at every opportunity.

So I am a founder and proud member of C.U.T.E.P.A.W.S. (along with a few other organizations)

C. Citizens
U. United
T. To
E. Enthusiastically
P. Poke
A. Animals
W. With
S. Sticks

The membership cost is one (1) recipe of your choice that must include any type of meat, or is used with a meat dish. (steak sauce, stews, great fish batter etc...)

One mnemonic i have never lost for some reason is related to mission planning, METT-T :

M- mission
E- enemy
T- terrain & weather
T- troops
T- time
Any ground pounders out there remember that one?

One of my all time favorite acronyms is BOHICA:
B- Bend
O- Over
H- Here
I- It
C- Comes
A- Again

The one I use most is GUMP.

Gas

Undercarriage

Mixture

Prop

This one keeps me from

a) running out of fuel on final approach to landing
b) landing with the gear still folded up
c) having the engine run poorly or not at all if I have to go around to try again
d) have full power if and when I have to go around to try again

Not diving related, but I use it more than any other mnemonic I have ever learned.

That is seriously funny. Veg bashing is a whole sport unto its self that could seriously support an audience and drive television advertising. I'm sure of it. Toss in a Vegan during May and November sweeps and its a winner, for sure.

AFU, FUBAR and all of those are crowd pleasers, to be sure.

We have many favs, but in the same spirit as C.U.T.E.P.A.W.S., I offer myself as founding member, and keeper these many years of CAPUR:

Citizens (for the)
Advancement (and)
Protection (of the)
Universal
Random-constant

That would be the number 27.

Its too deep to get into in a public forum, but simply stated: myself and a small group discovered in 1976 (about 27 years ago, if you can believe that) that the number 27 is, for lack of a more agreeable term, the universal random-constant. Its simply everywhere more than any other number, and when pressed to deliver a number (for the sake of conversation - say, for example: "If I've told you once, I've told you 27 times....") you will choose 27 more often than any other number.

I won' t dive into the volumes of proof statements, decades of research and other websites that have popped up to support our discovery, but suffice it to say that it does, it has, and it is.

I'd take a picture for you, but there are only 27 photos on most disposable cameras, and shucks, I've already used them all....

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom