What is your favorite mnemonic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm going to lower tone.

During the First World War , British soldiers would put acronyms which were real place names on the back of letters home.

Two I remember (hearing about :D ) were

B e
U upstairs
R eady
M y
A angel

and

N ickers
O ff
R eady
W hen
I
C ome
H ome

Made me laugh and I did remember them so I suppose it worked !

Hoppy

PS Moderators feel free to pull this if you deem unfit

:wink:

PEBCAK

pronounced peb-cak

Problem Exsits between chair and keyboard

For working customer support for a couple differnet places we had to develop the pebcak error.

we seem to experiencing one here... :tease:

To clarify... technicians should never take credit for creating pebcak errors... we simply document them! Let the users take all of the credit. When enough users are having the same error, we then promote it to feature status.

bug once bubbled...
PEBCAK

pronounced peb-cak

Problem Exsits between chair and keyboard

This sounds like the closely related LNOTK hardware problem, of which we see plenty of on this board at times.

Loose Nut On The Keyboard. :D

I'm surprised with all the IT folks on the board that RTFM hasn't come up yet. Read The Friggen Manual.

Marc

some military types might recognize this

SNAFU

Situation
Normal
All
Frigged
Up

also here are a few from the college i work for

Window licker: a person who is or acts so stupid that you expect them to come flying upto the front of the room and lick the glass

Midvale Validictorian: a person who cant figure out how to open the door when the instructions are on the door.

Slacker: a person who knows the test closes and still walks in late and is shocked when they dont get it even though its only a couple of minutes after closing. when they walk out the door they get called a slacker.

A Look Artist: A person (usually a female) who has gotten through life with there looks and it finally doesnt work.

will have to think of the others i know i cant remeber right now

I brought up pebcak in the first post of the second page, and Roakey brought up RTFM a few posts later. So do an RTT (Read The Thread) and you will see! No one has brought up TANSTAAFL yet or All People Seem To Need Data Processing which are non-diving related.

who actually coined it and what does it mean. Our friend who has adopted it has as his moniker has obviously taken it's message to heart.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.

I don't know who originally coined the phrase, but I first saw it used by a character named Lazarus Long in a number of Robert Heinlein's short stories and books.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom