What kind of pufferfish? mutant porcupine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very cool.. thanks!!!
We do see web burrfish here, and yes, not common..

Might be an old Striped Burrfish (Chilomycterus schoepfi),the irregular pattern of what looks like dark brown makes me think that.

it may be that also. thanks!

Look very closely and you'll see the small polygonal pattern of lines that gives the fish its common name. C. schopfi, the Striped Burrfish, also called Spiny Boxfish, is closely related but its range is further north (all the way up here in NJ in summer), and is almost always found in grassy bays and similar habitat. Its pattern is very different. The Web Burrfish is more adventurous and is often seen on the reef. Another common name for the Web Burfish is the Yellow Spined Puffer. They are more vivid and get larger.

here's another couple shots.. raw images, not tweaked..
P1014702.jpg

P1014704.jpg

The blotchy coloring and the fact that it is common on the Fl. Gulf coast and occasional on the rest of Fl. makes me stick with my original thought.

I looked it up in "Reef Fish identification" by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach

Well, Jennie, the only way to resolve this burning and vexing question is for you to return to the reef, search for as long as it takes to find that fish, and extract a DNA sample. Or simply ask the fish "What kind of Burrfish are you?" Or take a close look above the mouth in your original post. Hexagonal pattern=Web Burrfish every time.

I've net collected and kept both types of Burrfish in aquaria. I've handled literally hundreds of them. I recognized it immediately. In fact, I think I once went out with his sister. A Cheap date but a poor conversationalist. She likes those reality shows: 'Jersey Shore', 'Housewives of Tampa Bay', etc. I detest them. It just wasn't meant to be.

Well, Jennie, the only way to resolve this burning and vexing question is for you to return to the reef, search for as long as it takes to find that fish, and extract a DNA sample. Or simply ask the fish "What kind of Burrfish are you?" Or take a close look above the mouth in your original post. Hexagonal pattern=Web Burrfish every time.

I've net collected and kept both types of Burrfish in aquaria. I've handled literally hundreds of them. I recognized it immediately. In fact, I think I once went out with his sister. A Cheap date but a poor conversationalist. She likes those reality shows: 'Jersey Shore', 'Housewives of Tampa Bay', etc. I detest them. It just wasn't meant to be.

So, you dated a blow fish. How was it? I have seen them bite hooks in two.

Had you been diving the Pacific Northwest coast, I would have considered the radioactive debris floating in from Fukushima! Never seen one like that in your waters (but then I don't spend that much time there... darn).

awap, I learned a lesson about computer dating. Writing on the questionnaire that you spend as much time in the water as possible, and that you 'love fishes" can have unanticipated consequences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom