What kind of suit for the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be leaving to go on the Nekton Caymans next week and I know the water is warm and we were planning on wearing shorties but someone wrote in that the sea wasps were out. What do any of you recommend? A 3mm long or do they have thinner longs then that.

I almost always wear a full 3mm in the caribean. My thinking is I am there to dive and I don't want to take a chance getting cold. When I did NEKTON last year, I was doing 5 dives a day so I was content with my full suit.

swimsuit or a skin for the coverage and I do 4 to 5 a day for 5 1/2 days on each trip.

.5mm ... don't worry about the Irukandji

I always wear a 3 mm 'cos its what I have. Thinner would be fine but I have never overheated. I like a full suit to protect against scrapes/sunburn

Saw a bunch of small (1 inch) jellyfish 2 weeks ago but no stings

Hi lemurs2,

....so what will be of most use to you is knowing what scuba temps to anticipate.

To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "7mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect mid-Aug Cayman Islands scuba temps of ~85F +/- a degree. Remember that liveaboard diving is different than land-based, where with mid-80's water temps some divers may be able to get away with a skin. On the Nekton Rorqual you'll be diving for a full week and most days can get in 4-5 dives. As the number of dives increases, the demands on thermal reserves become substantial.

Personally, I'd take a 3 mil full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. It's much harder to warm up.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

ianr33:
I always wear a 3 mm 'cos its what I have. Thinner would be fine but I have never overheated. I like a full suit to protect against scrapes/sunburn

Saw a bunch of small (1 inch) jellyfish 2 weeks ago but no stings

Same with me.

DocVikingo:
If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. It's much harder to warm up.

Agreed. If you want to wear a suit in warm water, I recommend a front zip so you can let water in. That's tough to do with the traditional rear zip.

It's also a nice way of "flushing" the suit before you get onboard, if you know what I mean. ;-)

Just got back from a week of diving on Cayman Brac. Depending on which computer I looked at the water temp was a consistent 84-87 degrees. I wore a 3mm shorty the whole week and felt it was perfect. We only encountered the "sea wasps" on the night dive, and only a couple then. Some people wore a 3mm long for the night dive. I have pictures of my Cayman trip here: Cayman Pictures

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom