What kind of suit for the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from the same trip a week ago. Take two, shorty for the day dives full for night. Saw exactly one sea wasp, but they are there. They had the stern floods turned off so as not to attract them. The one I saw was right beside the ladder as I was getting out - made me move pretty quickly for an old guy.:D

Water temp was 86.

Holy crap. I had never heard of a sea wasp, and didn't understand what everyone was whining about. After a quick web search I found out that they are one of the most deadly creatures in the ocean and their sting is usually fatal!!?? Yikes.

But supposedly they are mostly in Australia, at least according to most of the websites I read. And now they're apparently entering the Caribbean?

You're freaking me out, man...

Thanks for the advice everyone. We were diving in the Bay islands of Honduras in Feb and found a shorty just right except I did get a lot little stings which were really annoying and want to avoid that. I think I'll stick with a 3mm long but I'll take a shorty just in case

HappyFunBoater:
Holy crap. I had never heard of a sea wasp, and didn't understand what everyone was whining about. After a quick web search I found out that they are one of the most deadly creatures in the ocean and their sting is usually fatal!!?? Yikes.

But supposedly they are mostly in Australia, at least according to most of the websites I read. And now they're apparently entering the Caribbean?

You're freaking me out, man...

Same common name, different animal. The Caribbean sea wasp is much less potent, although can be harmful to certain people. Try googling the Latin names, and you'll get the scoop:

Pacific sea wasp -- Chironex fleckeri
Caribbean sea wasp -- Carybdea alata (also invasive in Oahu)

Scubasw:
Just got back from a week of diving on Cayman Brac. Depending on which computer I looked at the water temp was a consistent 84-87 degrees. I wore a 3mm shorty the whole week and felt it was perfect. We only encountered the "sea wasps" on the night dive, and only a couple then. Some people wore a 3mm long for the night dive. I have pictures of my Cayman trip here: Cayman Pictures

Nice Photos!
Real nice!
Brad

On my trips I average five dives a day. I always wear a 3 mil and have never regretted it. Grab the neck of a back zip and you can flush it fine. I also take a 1/2 mil shortie. On a PNG trip where we were doing some exploratory dives in the Duke of York Islands. We hit an area of colder upwelling currents and the temperature dropped to a chilly 80 degrees. BRRRRR!! I had to layer!

Call me a wimp if ya want but I'll stay in my 3 mil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom