What kind of valve is this ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Saw this on eBay and wondered what kind of valve it is and what is it for ?

What caught my eye was the valve, it just looked different.

$(KGrHqJ,!lIFIlWq9uumBSMHLOJgzQ~~60_0.JPG$T2eC16d,!yMFIcvVdku4BSMHLOHUTQ~~60_0.JPG$T2eC16h,!yYFIb1UTIOnBSMHK-2QIw~~60_0.JPGView attachment 165791View attachment 165792

What is the brass knob on the one end ? It is not a valve.
The other end is made that way with a slight seam going down the end.

Last edited:
The valve is probably tapered pipe thread. If you are looking for a pony bottle, I would suggest passing on this one.

It is not US Divers or Voit, it looks like a Dacor. I looks like it is either missing the J lever or the J end is plugged off with something...

That looks even closer. That is definitely what the K-valve looks like when the lever is missing. It is not Healthways/Scubapro or Sportsways. Did anyone else make a tapered thread valves? Nimrod maybe?

Everybody made tapered thread valves at one time or another. It is probably an unmarked Dacor that was used by another company for their tanks. I have a Voit tank I bought new in 1957. The tank is stamped Voit but the valve has no marking at all but it is the same valve used by US Divers at the time. Just as Norris and PST made all the tanks but had the sellers brand name stamped in them valve companies made the valves. The Voit valve looks just like the US Divers valve except the raised US Divers lettering on the valve has been ground off before finish plating.
As with the valve on ebay it looks like the OP's valve has the old style flat washer instead an O ring. This was common on early valves as it was a design based on and still used on medical oxygen cylinders

Many of the Scuba valves sold by companies in the US (Dacor, Healthways, White Stag, and others) used to be made by Sherwood Selpac. At the time Sherwood did not sell Scuba gear directly, but made valves and regulator parts for most of the manufacturers in the US.

Sherwood was (and could easily still be) one of the largest manufacturers of compress gas valves and other related pneumatic equipment.

When Sherwood decided to enter directly into the Scuba business it was not welcome news by some of the other Scuba manufacturers. I was talking to one of the sons of the founder of Dacor (Davidson family) and he mentioned that they were not very happy with Sherwood.

I don't know if Sherwood Selpac made valves or parts for US Divers, Voit, or Scubapro, but I suspect that they made at least some parts for Scubapro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom